Washington Pulls Out 4-3 Win Over USC Men
April 14, 2006
SEATTLE, WASH. -- Another Pac-10 contest barely slipped out of the USC men's tennis team's grasp with a 4-3 loss to No. 20 Washington. Again the Trojans were in control of doubles play, but the Huskies strengthened their play during singles action and grabbed the win. USC falls to 7-13 overall and 0-5 in Pac-10 play. The loss marks USC's fifth straight 4-3 defeat -- all during Pac-10 play.
In doubles play, Adam Loucks / Garrett Snyder shined with their eighth straight doubles win at the No. 3 position. Their 8-3 victory rounded out a doubles sweep for the Trojans, sparked by Jamil Al-Agba / Dejan Cvetkovic's 8-4 win at No. 1 and followed by Jeff Kazarian / Kaes Van't Hof's 8-6 victory at No. 2.
From there, Washington tied it up 1-1 with a win at No. 1 singles, but Whit Livingston got the Trojans back on top with a 6-4, 7-6 (4) win over Klaus Jank at No. 6 singles. The Huskies came back again and took the lead with two more wins, leaving USC's Chong Wang and Adam Loucks still battling in their respective matches. Wang prevailed with a 4-6, 6-3, 7-5 win over Andy Kuhaszky at the No. 5 slot to make it 3-3. In a blazing marathon match at the No. 4 position, Daniel Chu won out by claiming the final set in a tiebreaker, claiming the match for the Huskies with a 6-3, 6-7 (10), 7-6 (4) victory over Loucks.
The Trojans have a shot at their first Pac-10 win with a match at Oregon at 1 p.m. on Saturday (April 15).
No. 20 Washington 4, No. 50 USC 3
1. Al-Agba/Cvetkovic (USC) def. (33) Slovic/Daniel Chu (UW); 8-4
2. Kazarian/Van¹t Hotf(USC) def. Kuharszky/Jank (UW); 8-6
3. Loucks/Snyder (USC) def. David Chu/Ricks (UW); 8-3
Order of Finish: 1,2,3
USC wins doubles point.
1. (19) Alex Slovic (UW) def. Jamil Al-Agba (USC); 6-0, 6-2
2. Pierre Metenier (UW) def. Dejan Cvetkovic (USC); 6-3, 6-7(5), 6-4
3. (90) Jean-Noel Insausti (UW) def. Kaes Van¹t Hof (USC); 6-2, 3-6,7-6(11)
4. Daniel Chu (UW) def. Adam Loucks (USC); 6-3, 6-7(10), 7-6(4)
5. Chong Wang (USC) def. Andy Kuharszky (UW);4-6, 6-3, 7-5
6. Whit Livingston (USC) def. Klaus Jank (UW); 6-4, 7-6(4)
Order of Finish: 1,6,2,3,5,4