USC Men Fall 4-3 In Final Regular-Season Dual Match To No. 8 UCLA
April 21, 2006
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. -- The No. 52-ranked USC men's tennis team were on the frustrating end of another 4-3 dual meet decision once again. With Friday's 4-3 loss to No. 8 UCLA, the Trojans are stuck with an 8-14 overall record and fall to 1-6 in the Pac-10. The Trojans tacked up the final three singles matches into their winning column, but it was too late against the strong Bruin squad, which stands as the defending Pac-10 champion.
USC came close to grabbing the doubles point to open the match, but UCLA was able to pull out two crucial wins. At the No. 2 position, Abid/Surapol overcame USC's #60 Jeff Kazarian / Kaes Van't Hof for an 8-6 win that gave the Bruins the early advantage. At the No. 1 slot, #33 Jamil Al-Agba / Dejan Cvetkovic had their Bruin opponents, #2 Gruendler/Kohlloeffel, on the ropes, but the UCLA pair proved their No. 2 ranking with a 9-8 (8-6) win that clinched the doubles point for UCLA just before USC's Adam Loucks / Garrett Snyder pulled out their No. 3 battle for the Trojans with an 8-6 win over Dehaine/Drean.
UCLA rolled to claim the next three singles matches, led by #71 Chris Surapol's 6-1, 6-1 win over Garrett Snyder. Philipp Gruendler next topped USC's Chong Wang 6-4, 6-0 to get UCLA up 3-0 in the match, and then the Bruins' top-ranked Benjamin Kohlloeffel pulled out a 7-5, 6-1 win over Dejan Cvetkovic at the No. 1 singles position to clinch the match for UCLA. The Trojans controlled the next three matches, but it was too late to overtake things. Kaes Van't Hof got a 6-3, 7-6 win over #96 Mathieu Dehaine at the No. 3 position, followed by Jeff Kazarian's 6-3, 4-6, (10-5) win over Michael Look at No. 6 to make it 4-2. Jamil Al-Agba then rounded out USC's efforts with a 2-6, 7-5, (10-6) comeback win over #95 Haythem Abid at No. 2 singles.
The next step for the USC squad is the upcoming Pac-10 Championships, which take place in Ojai, Calif., from April 27-30.
#8 UCLA 4, #52 USC 3
(1) #2 Gruendler/Kohlloeffel (UCLA) def. #33 Al-Agba/Cvetkovic (USC) -- 9-8 (8-6)
(2) Abid/Surapol (UCLA) def. #60 Kazarian/Van't Hof (USC) -- 8-6
(3) Loucks/Snyder (USC) def. Dehaine/Drean (UCLA) -- 8-6
Order of finish: 2, 1*, 3
UCLA wins doubles point
(1) #1 Benjamin Kohlloeffel (UCLA) def. Dejan Cvetkovic (USC) -- 7-5, 6-1
(2) Jamil Al-Agba (USC) vs. #95 Haythem Abid (UCLA) -- 2-6, 7-5, (10-6)
(3) Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. #96 Mathieu Dehaine (UCLA) -- 6-3, 7-6
(4) Philipp Gruendler (UCLA) def. Chong Wang (USC) -- 6-4, 6-0
(5) #71 Chris Surapol (UCLA) def. Garrett Snyder (USC) -- 6-1, 6-1
(6) Jeff Kazarian (USC) def. Michael Look (UCLA) -- 6-3, 4-6, (10-5)
Order of finish: 5, 4, 1*, 3, 6, 2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 2:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive