Women's Tennis Loses Season Finale
April 21, 2006
PULLMAN, Wash. - The Husky women's tennis team fell in their season finale to the rival Washington State Cougars today at the Stadium Way Tennis Center. It is Washington's first loss against WSU since 1999. Sophomore Tara Simpson earned UW's only point in a 6-1 defeat.
The Huskies end a long, tough season at 3-17 and go winless in the Pac-10 (0-8). Washington had defeated Washington State, 4-3, in their first meeting however that did not count towards conference records. Washington ends up with their first losing season since 1999 and will end the season out of the rankings for the first time since 1996. Injuries hampered Washington as they finished with only the minimum six girls on the active roster.
The brightest spot heading into next season will be Simpson, who ended the dual season by winning four out of five matches and went 4-4 in her Pac-10 matches, providing UW's only singles win three times in conference play. This afternoon, Simpson stopped WSU's Aleksandra Cekic, 6-2, 6-3 at No. 3 singles. Simpson also improves to 15-14 overall, the only Husky with a winning record.
Washington State gained the 1-0 lead via a tight doubles point. After the Huskies and Cougars each won a match, it came down to No. 3 doubles, where Cekic and Aleksandra Stefanova defeated sophomore Allison Rainey and freshman Melinda Wong in a tiebreak to give WSU the point and momentum.
Seniors Stephanie Svanfeldt and Dinka Hadzic both fell in their final dual matches. In a match that defined her season, Hadzic fell barely short of upsetting 90th-ranked Ekaterina Burduli, losing in a third set tiebreak at the No. 1 singles spot. Svanfeldt was topped, 6-4, 6-2 at fourth singles by Marjolein van de Ven.
The Huskies will travel to Ojai, California next weekend for the individual Pac-10 Championships, held April 27-30.
Washington Women's Tennis vs. Washington State
4/21/06 - Stadium Way Tennis Center - Pullman, Wash.
No. 70 Washington State 6, Washington 1
1) Hadzic/Brymer (UW) def. Ring/Toth (WSU), 8-6
2) Burduli/van de Ven (WSU) def. Simpson/Svanfeldt (UW), 8-3
3) Cekic/Stefanova (WSU) def. Rainey/Wong (UW), 9-8
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1) (90) Ekaterina Burduli (WSU) def. Dinka Hadzic (UW), 6-1, 3-6, 7-6
2) Amy Toth (WSU) def. Victoria Brymer (UW), 5-7, 6-1, 6-4
3) Tara Simpson (UW) def. Aleksandra Cekic (WSU), 6-2, 6-3
4) Marjolein van de Ven (WSU) def. Stephanie Svanfeldt (UW), 6-4, 6-2
5) Bianca Selaru (WSU) def. Melinda Wong (UW), 6-4, 6-2
6) Aleksandra Stefanova (WSU) def. Allison Rainey (UW), 5-7, 6-0, 6-2
Order of finish: 5, 3, 4, 6, 2, 1