Josh Hustedt In Fourth Place At Pac-10 Decathlon Championship
May 6, 2006
Eugene, Or - Sophomore Josh Hustedt resides in fourth place among 13 competitors after day one (five events on Saturday) at the 2006 Pacific-10 Decathlon Championship at the University of Oregon's Hayward Field.
Hustedt has a first day total of 3,713 points. Joshua Kinnaman of Arizona State leads all competitors with 3,957 points.
Hustedt, who has a season and career-best of 7,070 points, began the day with a time of 11.36 in the 100 meters, good for 792 points. Hustedt enjoyed his best effort of the day in the second event, the long jump where he led all competitors with a mark of 23-8 (7.21m), good for 864 points. Hustedt also passed the 800 point mark in the final event of the day, the 400 meters. Hustedt ran a 50.10, good for 810 points.
The second day and final day of the decathlon will be held on Sunday with competition in the 110 meter hurdles, discus, pole vault, javelin and the 1500 meters.
Freshman Lauren Stewart resides in fifth place among 13 competitors in the heptathlon championship. Stewart, who has a season and career-best point total of 5,110 points has 3,187 points after the first day (four events). Stewart's best event of the day was the 100 meter hurdles where her time of 14.64 was good enough for 890 points. Her next event produced 879 points (second-best in the field) in the high jump (5-7 3/4, 1.72m). After gaining 578 points in the shot put (35-2 1/2, 10.73m), Stewart finished the day with 841 points in the 200 meters (25.51).
Jacquelyn Johnson of Arizona State leads with 3,615 points.
The final three events in the heptathlon will be held on Saturday with the long jump, javelin and the 800 meters.
Complete results are available at www.goducks.com
Men's Decathlon Results (first day, 13 athletes)
1. Joshua Kinnaman, Arizona State, 3,957 points
2. Jake Arnold, Arizona, 3,880 points
3. Alexey Shkuratov, Oregon, 3,776 points
4. Josh Hustedt, Stanford, 3,713 points (100 meters, 11.36, 782 points); long jump (23-8, 7.21m, 864 points); shot put (32-1, 9.78m, 472 points); high jump (6-6, 1.98m, 785 points); 400 meters (50.10, 810 points)
Women's Heptathlon Results (first day, 13 competitors)
1. Jacquelyn Johnson, Arizona State, 3,615 points
2. Julie Pickler, Washington State, 3,415 points
3. Lauryn Jordan, Oregon, 3,315 points
5. Lauren Stewart, Stanford, 3,187 points; 100 meter hurdles (14.64, 890 points); high jump (5-7 3/4, 1.72m, 879 points); shot put (35-2 1/2, 10.73m, 577 points); 200 meters (25.51, 841 points)