Arizona Tops Brigham Young, 4-1, in NCAA Action
May 12, 2006
Stanford, Calif. - Arizona kicked off play at the 2006 NCAA Tournament with an exciting, although lengthy, win over Brigham Young this afternoon at the Taube Tennis Center. The Wildcats improve to 13-11 on the year and will take on the winner of this evening's Stanford-Quinnipiac match in the second round tomorrow at 3 p.m.
The match started at noon, with a quick 8-1 doubles victory on court two from Arizona's Danielle Steinberg and Camelia Todorova, but BYU evened it out with an 8-3 win on court three. The Cougars led on court one, 7-2, but the Wildcat duo of Stephanie Balzert and Juliette Mavroleon came back from their early deficit with seven-straight games to take a 9-7 win and put Arizona up, 1-0.
In singles, Mavroleon, ranked No. 81 in the nation, helped the Wildcats extend their lead with a speedy 6-1, 6-4 victory in the third spot, before Kasia Jakowlew put Arizona one point away from the win with a 6-4, 6-4 victory.
Brigham Young was still in the match, though, having won the first set on courts one, two, five and six. The Cougars scored their first point of the day with a 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 victory from Lauren Jones in the second position, but on the back courts, Camelia Todorova clinched the Stanford victory with a 6-1 win in the third set to end the match after three hours and 55 minutes of play.
NCAA Women's Tennis - First Round
May 12, 2006 * Stanford, Calif.
Taube Tennis Center
Arizona 4, Brigham Young 1
1. Stephanie Balzert/Juliette Mavroleon (Arizona) def. JenniferMiccoli/AnastasiaSourkova (BYU), 9-7
2. Danielle Steinberg/Camelia Todorova (Arizona) def. #51 DollyChang/SofiaHolden (BYU), 8-1
3. OlgaBoulytcheva/LaurenJones (BYU) def. Kasia Jakowlew/Jessie Rochefort (Arizona), 8-3
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. #24 OlgaBoulytcheva (BYU) led #37 Danielle Steinberg (Arizona), 4-6, 6-4, 4-3
2. LaurenJones (BYU) def. Stephanie Balzert (Arizona), 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
3. #81 Juliette Mavroleon (Arizona) def. AnastasiaSourkova (BYU), 6-1, 6-4
4. Kasia Jakowlew (Arizona) def. SofiaHolden (BYU), 6-4, 6-4
5. Camelia Todorova (Arizona) def. DollyChang (BYU), 6-7(4), 6-2, 6-1
6. Jessie Rochefort (Arizona) vs. JenniferMiccoli (BYU), 2-6, 7-6(5), 2-2
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 2, 5
Match Notes: Arizona, ranked No. 38, improves to 13-11 ... BYU, ranked No. 28, ends the season at 20-8 ... match time: 3:55 ... Arizona will play winner of No. 1 Stanford and Quinnipiac on Saturday at 3 p.m. (PT).
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Thu 2/23 | 7:00pm PTLive