Long Beach State Downs New Mexico At USC In NCAA 1st Round
May 12, 2006
No. 27 Long Beach State defeated No. 46 New Mexico in an NCAA Championships Women's Tennis first round match at USC's Marks Stadium on Friday (May 11), giving the 49ers their first ever NCAA Tournament victory.
Long Beach State improved to 22-4 while New Mexico fell to 14-9.
Long Beach State, the Big West champion for the third straight season, won the competitive doubles point. First, the tandem of Katy Williams and Sandra Rocha, playing at No. 2 doubles, broke serve to down New Mexico's Lucy Scott and Ola Abou-Zekry, 8-5. The 49ers' Stephanie Bengson and Rachael Porsz soon followed with an 8-4 win over Nora Quintal and Maria Sotirchos at No. 3 doubles.
The No. 1 doubles match of fourth-ranked Maja Kovachek and Iva Gersic of New Mexcio and 41st-ranked Hannah Grady and Jessica Weeks of Long Beach State was suspended, though the Lobo pair led a tiebreaker 6-0 in the 8-8 match.
Grady was first on the singles board for the 49ers, making quick work of Kovacek, 6-2, 6-1, while Lobo Abou-Zekry disposed of Rocha, 6-0, 6-0, to pull New Mexico to within 2-1.
Long Beach State's Bengson gave the 49ers a 3-1 lead with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Quintal. Williams then gave the 49ers the win, persevering over Gersic, 7-6 (7-1), 6-4.
Matches between Scott and Weeks and New Mexico's Mackenzie White and Porsz were suspended.
(1) #4 Maja Kovacek-Iva Gersic (NM) vs. #41 Hannah Grady-Jessica Weeks (LBS)
SUSPENDED - NM led 8-8 (6-0)
(2) #57 Katy Williams-Sandra Rocha (LBS) def. Lucy Scott-Ola Abou-Zekry (NM) -- 8-5
(3) Stephanie Bengson-Rachael Porsz (LBS) def. Nora Quintal-Maria Sotirchos (NM) -- 8-4
(1) #67 Hannah Grady (LBS) def. #31 Maja Kovacek (NM) - 6-2, 6-1
(2) Katy Williams (LBS) def. #81 Iva Gersic (NM) - 7-6 (7-1), 6-4
(3) Stephanie Bengson (LBS) def. Nora Quintal (NM) - 6-3, 6-3
(4) Ola Abou-Zekry (NM) def. Sandra Rocha (LBS) - 6-0, 6-0
(5) Lucy Scott (NM) vs. Jessica Weeks (LBS) - SUSPENDED (NM led 6-3, 3-6, 3-2)
(6) Mackenzie White (NM) vs. Rachael Porsz (LBS) - SUSPENDED (NM led 6-4, 6-5)