USC Beats Army In NCAA 1st Round
May 12, 2006
No. 2 USC, beginning a quest for its eighth NCAA team title and making its 15th consecutive NCAA postseason appearance, quickly defeated visiting Army, 4-0, in an NCAA Championships Women's Tennis first-round match at USC's Marks Stadium on Friday (May 12).
USC, which improved to 18-3, will face Long Beach State in a second-round match on Saturday at 2 p.m. Long Beach State defeated New Mexico, 4-1, earlier in the day at USC. USC defeated Long Beach State early in the 2005-2006 season, 6-1.
Army, the Patriot League champion, fell to 15-13.
The Women of Troy, the No. 3 seed in the NCAA Tournament, won the doubles point as 28th-ranked Dianne Matias and Carine Vermeulen defeated Megan Noble and Brooke Jones, 8-0, while Troy's Judy DeVera and Amanda Fink beat Amanda Paluch and Sarah Giles-Madden, 8-1. Luana Magnani and Lindsey Nelson were leading Kristin Flach and Jessica Shurtz, 6-2, when the doubles point was won.
Singles play was equally one-sided. Fink defeated Flach, 6-1, 6-0 and was followed by a 6-0, 6-1 Vermeulen victory over Diana Alquero and a 6-2, 6-1 Anca Anastasiu win over Shurtz.
(1) #28 Dianne Matias-Carine Vermeulen (USC) def. Megan Noble-Brooke Jones (Army) - 8-0
(2) #18 Luana Magnani-Lindsey Nelon (USC) vs. Kristin Flach-Jessica Shurtz (Army) SUSPENDED - 6-2
(3) Judy DeVera-Amanda Fink (USC) def. Amanda Paluch-Sarah Giles-Madden (Army) - 8-1
SINGLES(1) #18 Lindsay Nelson (USC) vs. Megan Noble (Army) - SUSPENDED (USC led 6-1, 4-2)
(2) No. 7 Amanda Fink (USC) def. Kristin Flach (Army) - 6-1, 6-0
(3) No. 47 Luana Magnani (USC) vs. Sarah Giles-Madden (Army) - SUSPENDED (USC led 6-2, 1-2)
(4) No. 29 Dianne Matias (USC) vs. Amanda Paluch (Army) - SUSPENDED (USC led 6-2, 3-0)
(5) No. 58 Anca Anastasiu (USC) def. Jessica Shurtz (Army) - 6-2, 6-1
(6) Carine Vermeulen (USC) def. Diana Alquero (Army) - 6-0, 6-1