No. 1 Stanford Advances in the NCAA Tournament with 4-0 Victory Over Arizona
May 13, 2006
Stanford, Calif. - Top-ranked and top-seeded Stanford picked up a 4-0 win over Arizona this afternoon at the Taube Tennis Center, earning a spot in the NCAA Round of 16. The Cardinal will face the winner of this evening's match between TCU and Texas, which is being played in Fort Worth.
Stanford's top-ranked doubles duo of Alice Barnes and Anne Yelsey gave the Cardinal a good start, winning an 8-1 decision before Lejla Hodzic and Jessica Nguyen dispatched the Wildcats, 8-4, on court three. With the doubles point secured, Celia Durkin and Amber Liu, ranked No. 22 in doubles, abandoned their match on court two with a 7-4 lead.
Stanford carried its momentum into singles, with all six Cardinal players scoring first set win and leading in the second set. Barnes finished first, with a 6-2, 6-0 victory over Stephanie Balzert on court two before Whitney Deason and Celia Durkin wrapped up their matches on courts five and six to clinch the Stanford victory.
The Cardinal extended its home court win streak to 103 matches with today's win and improved its overall win streak to 82 matches. It is the 14th-consecutive NCAA post-season dual victory for the Cardinal, who have won 31 of their last 32 post-season matches. In the 26th year of the NCAA Tournament, Stanford is now 96-11 all-time.
NCAA Women's Tennis - Second RoundMay 13, 2006 * Stanford, Calif.Taube Tennis Center
#1 Stanford 4, Arizona 0
1. #1 Alice Barnes/Anne Yelsey (S) def. Stephanie Balzert/Juliette Mavroleon (A), 8-1
2. #22 Celia Durkin/Amber Liu (S) led Danielle Steinberg/Camelia Todorova (A), 7-4, DNF
3. Lejla Hodzic/Jessica Nguyen (S) def. Kasia Jakowlew/Jessie Rochefort (A), 8-4
Order of finish: 1, 3
1. #8 Amber Liu (S) led #37 Danielle Steinberg (A), 6-3, 0-0 DNF
2. #5 Alice Barnes (S) def. Stephanie Balzert (A), 6-2, 6-0
3. #10 Theresa Logar (S) led #81 Juliette Mavroleon (A), 6-1, 2-2 DNF
4. #11 Anne Yelsey (S) led Kasia Jakowlew (A), 6-1, 3-1 DNF
5. #52 Whitney Deason (S) def. Camelia Todorova (A), 6-0, 6-1
6. #73 Jessica Nguyen (S) def. Jessie Rochefort (A), 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 2, 5, 6
Notes: Stanford, ranked No. 1 in the nation, improves to 26-0 on the year ... Arizona, ranked No. 38 in the nation, ends the season with a 13-12 record ... Match time: 2:03 ... No. 1 Stanford will play the winner of the Texas-No. 16 TCU second round match being in For Worth, Texas.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive
Fri 12/15 | 5:00pm PTLive
Fri 12/15 | 7:00pm PTLive