Stanford Beats Quinnipiac 4-0 in NCAA First Round Match
May 13, 2006
No. 13 Stanford opened play in the 2006 NCAA Tournament today with a 4-0 win over visiting Quinnipiac in a first round match at the Taube Tennis Center. The Cardinal, 16-3 overall, advances to tomorrow's second round match against No. 20 California, a 4-0 winner earlier today over UC Santa Barbara. The two teams will meet at 11:00 am for the right to advance to the NCAA Tournament.
The Cardinal and Bears have faced each other twice this season with Stanford coming out on top both times. The Cardinal scored a 6-1 win over Cal on Feb. 18 at Stanford and a 5-2 win over the Bears April 22 at Stanford.
In today's match, Stanford quickly jumped out to a 1-0 as its No. 1 and No. 3 doubles teams won by scores of 8-0 and 8-1. KC Corkery and James Pade, the 16th ranked doubles team in the nation, beat Quinnipiac's Andrew Chan and Mike Racioppo at No. 1 doubles, 8-0. Moments later, the Cardinal's No. 3 doubles team of James Wan and Jon Wong recorded an 8-1 win over Jon Russo and Tom Curran, giving the Cardinal a 1-0 lead in the match.
Stanford had little trouble in singles as it won all six first sets by 6-0 or 6-1 scores. The Cardinal went on to win easily at No. 3, No. 2 and No. 4 singles to end the match in just one hour, 26 minutes.
James Pade gave Stanford a 2-0 lead with a 6-1, 6-0 win at No. 3 singles over Stefano Salvatore. The Cardinal made it 3-0 when Matt Bruch, ranked No. 16 in the nation, finished his match against Mike Racioppo, 6-0, 6-1. James Wan, at No. 4 singles, clinched the match with a 6-0, 6-1 win over Jon Russo.
NCAA First Round
Stanford 4, Quinnipiac 0
Doubles: (Stanford wins doubles point)
1. #16 KC Corkery/James Pade (S) d. Andrew Chan/Mike Racioppo (Q), 8-0
2. Blake Muller/Matt Bruch (S) vs. Goldy Sherrill/Stefano Salvatore (Q), 4-2, dnf
3. Jon Wong/James Wan (S) d. Jon Russo/Tom Curran (Q), 8-1
Order of finish: 1, 3
1. #25 KC Corkery (S) vs. Andrew Chan (Q), 6-0, 5-1 dnf
2. #16 Matt Bruch (S) d. Mike Racioppo (Q), 6-0, 6-1
3. James Pade (S) d. Stefano Salvatore (Q), 6-1, 6-0
4. #66 James Wan (S) d. Jon Russo (Q), 6-0, 6-1
5. Blake Muller (S) vs. Goldy Sherrill (Q), 6-0, 3-1, dnf
6. Phil Kao (S) vs. Greg Kreyman (Q), 6-1, 2-0, dnf
Order of finish: 3, 2, 4
Start Time of Match: 12:08 pm
Length of Match: 1:26
Team Records: Quinnipiac - 14-8; Stanford - 16-3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Wed 9/27 | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 9/28 | 3:30pm PTLive
Thu 9/28 | 5:30pm PTLive