Troy Downs Long Beach State, Advances To NCAA Round Of 16
May 13, 2006
No. 2 USC continued its quest for its eighth NCAA team title in its 15th consecutive NCAA postseason appearance when it defeated No. 27 Long Beach State, 4-0, in an NCAA Championships Women's Tennis second-round match at USC's Marks Stadium on Saturday (May 13).
USC improved to 19-3 overall while Long Beach State fell to 22-5. The 49ers' second-round NCAA Tournament appearance was their first ever.
The Women of Troy, the No. 3 seed in the NCAA Tournament, won the doubles point as Troy's Judy DeVera and Amanda Fink beat Stephanie Bengson and Rachael Porsz, 8-4, and Luana Magnani and Lindsey Nelson downed Katy Williams and Sandra Rocha, 8-1. USC's 28th-ranked tandem of Dianne Matias and Carine Vermeulen trailed #41 Hanna Grady and Jessica Weeks, 7-5, when the doubles point was won.
Vermeulen won USC's first singles point, 6-0, 6-0, over Porsz and was followed by Matias' 6-2, 6-1, win over Rocha. Troy's Anca Anastasiu closed out the match with a 7-3, 7-5 win over Weeks.
USC advances to the Round of 16, where it will play Virginia Commonwealth on Thursday (May 18) at Stanford's Taube Stadium at 9 a.m. Stanford is hosting the final week of both men's and women's NCAA Championships tennis.
(1) #28 Dianne Matias-Carine Vermeulen (USC) vs. Megan #41 Hannah Grady-Jessica Weeks (LBS)
SUSPENDED - (LBS led 7-5)
(2) #18 Luana Magnani-Lindsey Nelson (USC) def. #57 Katy Williams-Sandra Rocha (LBS) - 8-1
(3) Judy DeVera-Amanda Fink (USC) def. Stephanie Bengson-Rachael Porsz (LBS) - 8-4
(1) #18 Lindsey Nelson (USC) vs. #67 Hannah Grady (LBS) - SUSPENDED (LBS led 7-5, 3-3)
(2) No. 7 Amanda Fink (USC) vs. Katy Williams (LBS) - SUSPENDED (tied 6-7 [6-8], 6-1
(3) No. 47 Luana Magnani (USC) vs. Stephanie Bengson (LBS) - SUSPENDED (LBS led 6-3, 1-6, 1-0)
(4) No. 29 Dianne Matias (USC) def. Sandra Rocha (LBS) - 6-2, 6-1
(5) No. 58 Anca Anastasiu (USC) def. Jessica Weeks (LBS) - 6-3, 7-5
(6) Carine Vermeulen (USC) def. Rachael Porsz (LBS) - 6-0, 6-0
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive