Stanford Advances to Round of 16 With 4-0 Victory Over Cal
May 14, 2006
Stanford advanced to the Round of 16 at the NCAA Championships by beating California 4-0 in the Second Round of the NCAA Tournament today at Stanford. The Cardinal, now 17-3 overall, beat Cal (16-7) for third time this season. Stanford, which has won an NCAA-best 17 NCAA team championships, will next play on Saturday, May 20 at 3:00 pm. Stanford is hosting the first-ever combined Men's and Women's NCAA Championships, May 18-29 at the Taube Tennis Center.
In recording wins in the first and second rounds of the NCAA Tournament, Stanford improved its overall record in NCAA Championship competition to 91-12. Yesterday, the Cardinal beat Quinnipiac 4-0 in the first round.
Today, the 13th ranked Cardinal took a 1-0 lead after doubles play and won the first three singles matches at No. 2, No. 6 and No. 3 to record the shutout. Freshman Matt Bruch, the 16th ranked singles player in the country, gave Stanford a 2-0 lead after he beat Cal's Tyler Browne, ranked 89th, 6-2, 6-0.
Stanford made it 3-0 when Phil Kao defeated the Bear's Dean Wallace 6-2, 6-4 at No. 6 singles. Moments later, James Pade clinched the match for the Cardinal after he finished off Cal's Lennart Maack, 6-2, 6-4 at No. 3.
Stanford claimed the doubles point with wins at No. 2 and No. 3. The Cardinal's Jon Wong and James Wan, playing No. 3 doubles, recorded an 8-0 win over Cal's Lennart Maack and Dean Wallace. Stanford's No. 2 doubles team of Blake Muller and Matt Bruch won 8-4 over the Bear's John Pettit and Daniel Sebescen to clinch the doubles point and put the Cardinal on top 1-0 heading into singles.
NCAA Men's Tennis Championships
Final: Stanford 4, California 0
Doubles: (Stanford wins doubles point)
1. #16 KC Corkery/James Pade (S) vs. #30 Tyler Browne/Conor Niland (C), 4-7, dnf
2. Blake Muller/Matt Bruch (S) d. John Pettit/Daniel Sebescen (C), 8-4
3. Jon Wong/James Wan (S) d. Lennart Maack/Dean Wallace (C), 8-0
Order of finish: 3-2
1. #25 KC Corkery (S) #6 Conor Niland (C), 6-3, 3-4, dnf
2. #16 Matt Bruch (S) d. #89 Tyler Browne (C), 6-2, 6-0
3. James Pade (S) Lennart Maack (C), 6-2, 6-4
4. #66 James Wan (S) Daniel Sebescen (C)5-5, dnf
5. Blake Muller (S) vs. Ken Nakahara (C), 6-4, 5-3, dnf
6. Phil Kao (S) vs. Dean Wallace (C), 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 6, 3
Start Time of Match: 11:10 am
Length of Match: 2:25
Team Records: California - 16-7; Stanford - 17-3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 4:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive
Fri 5/25 | 4:00pm PTLive