Rain Delay Moves NCAA Quarterfinals To San Francisco
May 19, 2006
SAN FRANCISCO, CALIF. -- The NCAA Women's Tennis Quarterfinals have been moved from the outdoor courts of Stanford's Taube Tennis Center to the indoor San Francisco Tennis Club. Third-seeded USC's clash with No. 11 seed Northwestern was delayed almost four hours as teams relocated to the San Francisco site.
As it stands on the way into singles play, Northwestern leads 1-0 after winning the doubles point. USC fell behind with Luana Magnani / Lindsey Nelson's 8-1 loss at the No. 2 position, and then Dianne Matias / Carine Vermeulen were unable to catch their Wildcat opponents, falling 8-4 to enter singles play in a one-point hole. At the No. 3 doubles position, Judy DeVera / Amanda Fink were leading 6-5 when their match was halted to bring up singles play.
With only three courts open for competition, the first three singles positions will compete first, and the Nos. 4-6 positions will begin as courts open.
Doubles scores and current singles matchups are as follows and will be updated as matches are completed.
(1) Grier/Prousis (NU) def. Matias/Vermeulen (USC) - 8-4
(2) Esseghie/Rose (NU) def. Magnani/Fink (USC) - 8-1
(3) DeVera/Fink (USC) vs. Ghazal/Piesel (NU) - 6-5 (susp)
Northwestern wins doubles point.
(1) Lindsey Nelson (USC) vs. Georgia Rose (NU)
(2) Amanda Fink (USC) vs. Cristelle Grier (NU)
(3) Luana Magnani (USC) vs. Alexis Prousis (NU)
(4) Dianne Matias (USC) vs. Jamie Piesel (NU)
(5) Anca Anastasiu (USC) vs. Feriel Esseghir (NU)
(6) Carine Vermeulen (USC) vs. Nazlie Ghazal (NU)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 11:00am PTLive
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive