Rains Again: USC's NCAA Semifinal Has Been Interrupted
May 21, 2006
PALO ALTO, CALIF. - The third-seeded USC women's tennis team has had its NCAA Semifinal match with No. 7 seed Miami put on hold due to stormy skies over Stanford's Taube Tennis Stadium on Sunday. USC is leading the match 1-0 after winning the doubles point, but the rest of the match is very much up in the air as the Trojans trail after the first set of singles play. The continuation of the match is still to be determined. If at all possible, the match will be resumed today, but not before 6 p.m.
After a slight delay to the 9 a.m. start, USC got a leg up on the contest by pinning down the doubles point. Although the Trojan tandem of Dianne Matias / Carine Vermeulen came up short against Miami's #2-ranked Applebaum/Cohen 8-4, the Women of Troy surged back to claim the doubles point with an 8-4 win by Luana Magnani / Lindsey Nelson at No. 2, followed by Judy DeVera / Amanda Fink's 8-3 win over Seenauth/Starzyk at the No. 3 slot.
With that 1-0 lead and an opening of clear skies, the Women of Troy took the courts for singles. Luana Magnani was the only Trojan to win her first set, but USC was setting up to push for a third set in the other matches until rains returned to interrupt play.
It isn't the first obstacle the Trojans have come up against in the NCAA competition. For the Round of 16, freshman No. 2 singles player Amanda Fink was sidelined with a stomach illness to push head coach Richard Gallien to adjust his lineup for that match against then-undefeated VCU. The Women of Troy regrouped and grabbed a 4-1 win to advance. Then, in the quarterfinals, rain pushed the entire match to San Francisco, where the competition was played out on three indoor courts until USC was able to capture a 4-3 win over Northwestern just after midnight. So Sunday's semifinal interruption is just another roadblock for the Trojans as they pursue their first trip to the NCAA Championship match since 1986.
Here are the scores as of the rain delay:
USC 1, Miami 0
(1) #2 Applebaum/Cohen (UM) def. #28 Matias/Vermeulen (USC) - 8-4
(2) #18 Magnani/Nelson (USC) def. Banada/Dancevic (UM) - 8-4
(3) DeVera/Fink (USC) def. Seenauth/Starzyk (UM) - 8-3
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3*
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #2 Audra Cohen (UM)* leads #18 Lindsey Nelson (USC) - 7-5, 1-3 (15-0)
(2) #76 Melissa Applebaum* (UM) leads #7 Amanda Fink (USC) - 6-4, 1-4 (40-0)
(3) #47 Luana Magnani (USC) leads #107 Monika Dancevic (UM) - 6-4, 1-2 (0-0)
(4) Audrey Banada* (UM) leads #29 Dianne Matias (USC) - 6-3, 0-1 (40-40)
(5) Patricia Starzyk* (UM) leads #58 Anca Anastasiu (USC) - 6-2, 1-2 (0-0)
(6) Caren Seenauth (UM) leads #101 Carine Vermeulen (USC) - 7-5, 0-0
* indicates current server