Joh Wins U.S. Women's Amateur Publinks
June 25, 2006
UCLA golfer Tiffany Joh won the 30th U.S. Women's Amateur Publinks Championship Sunday in a 36-hole final at Walking Stick GC in Pueblo, Colo.
Joh, 19, defeated 14 year-old Kimberly Kim of Hilo, HI, 6 and 5 to claim the first USWAPL title by a UCLA golfer since Mary Enright in 1981.
As the U.S. Women's Amateur Publinks Champion, Joh receives:
* A gold medal and custody of the Robert F. Dwyer Trophy for one year;
* A 10-year USWAPL exemption (while still an amateur);
* A two-year exemption from sectional qualifying to the U.S. Women's Amateur Championship (while still an amateur);
* An exemption from local qualifying for the next five U.S. Women's Open Championships (while still an amateur);
* Other exemptions to the U.S. Women's Mid-Amateur and USGA Senior Women's Open Championships, if eligible.
In the morning match, Joh grabbed a 2-up lead through 18 holes, squaring the match at the 10th hole with a par, then taking a 1-up lead with a 30-foot uphill birdie putt at the par-4 14th. At the par-5 15th, Joh was conceded a birdie for a 2-up advantage.
For the morning round, Joh posted a 68, with the usual match-play concessions, while Kim carded a 71.
More details to follow.
For complete results click here.