Twelve Former Bruins Up For Nomination On MLS All-Star Ballot
June 26, 2006
Twelve former UCLA players are eligible for voting in the 2006 MLSNet.com All-Star Ballot. Voting is taking place until July 7 at MLSNet.com.
Goalkeepers in the running are Kevin Hartman (1995-96) of the LA Galaxy and Matt Reis (1994-97) of the New England Revolution. There are five defenders on the ballot - Jonathan Bornstein (2004-05) of Chivas USA, Jimmy Conrad (1996-97) of the Kansas city Wizards, Frankie Hejduk (1992-94) of the Columbus Crew, Greg Vanney (1993-95) of FC Dallas and Marvell Wynne (2004-05) of the New York Red Bulls. The UCLA midfielders are New York's Chris Henderson (1989-90), Cobi Jones (1988-91) and Peter Vagenas (1996-99) of the LA Galaxy and Kansas City's Sasha Victorine (1996-99). Ante Razov (1992-95) of Chivas USA, who leads the league in scoring with 10 goals, is the only UCLA representative at the forward position.
A four-tier voting system will determine the First 11 players selected for the 2006 Sierra Mist MLS All-Star Game against English Premier League champions Chelsea FC on Saturday, Aug. 5. The online fan balloting program will comprise 25 percent of the total vote, with coaches and general managers (25%), players (25%), and media (25%) combining for the remaining 75% percent of the vote. The total vote will honor the MLS First 11, regardless of whether or not those players start on Aug. 5. Each MLS team nominated twelve (12) players for the ballot at the start of the season.
Conrad, Reis and Vanney were All-Star starters a year ago.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Wed 10/25 | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/26 | 2:30pm PTLive
Thu 10/26 | 4:30pm PTLive