Stanford Beats Hawaii 4-3 in Pre-Season Match
Nov. 22, 2006
The Cardinal men's tennis team defeated the University of Hawaii 4-3 on November 21 in a pre-season match held at the Wailea Tennis Club on the Island of Maui. The Cardinal won the doubles point, then won at No. 4, No. 5 and No. 6 singles to clinch the match. Freshman Kevin Kaiser won the clinching match at No. 5 singles, beating Hawaii's Chad Faulk 6-3, 0-6, 6-4.
Stanford took a 1-0 lead after winning the doubles point. Paul Morrissey and Blake Muller beat Andreas Webber and Matt Seeberger 8-5 at No. 1 doubles and Richard Wire and Eric McKean beat Sacha Heinemann and Jeff Fitch at No. 2 doubles, 8-4. Hawaii's Chad Faulk and Derrick Lajola beat Kevin Kaiser and Chris Rasmussen, 8-7 at No. 3 doubles.
In singles, Hawaii won at No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3, but the Cardinal won the match by winning at the bottom of the singles lineup. McKean beat Fitch at No. 4, 5-7, 6-3, 7-5 and Morrissey beat Derrick Lajola at No. 6, 6-0, 4-6, 6-2. Then it was Kaiser's turn to clinch the match with his victory at No. 5 singles.
Wire, James Wan and Muller were each defeated at No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3 singles.
The match does not count towards the team's season record, but the individual results will count towards individual records and rankings.
Stanford Men's Tennis Results
November 21, 2006
Wailea Tennis Club, Maui, Hawaii
Stanford 4, Hawaii 3
Doubles (Stanford wins doubles point)
1. Paul Morrissey/ Blake Muller (S) d. Andreas Webber / Matt Seeberger (H), 8-5
2. Richard Wire / Eric McKean (S) d. Sacha Heinemann / Jeff Fitch (H), 8-4
3. Chad Faulk / Derrick Lajola (H) d. Kevin Kaiser / Chris Rasmussen (S), 8-7
1. Sascha Heinemann (H) d. Richard Wire (S), 6-4, 7-5
2. Andreas Webber (H) d. James Wan (S), 6-2, 4-6, 7-5
3. Matt Seeberger (H) d. Blake Muller (S), 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
4. Eric McKean (S) d. Jeff Fitch (H), 5-7, 6-3, 7-5
5. Kevin Kaiser (S) d. Chad Faulk (H), 6-3, 0-6, 6-4
6. Paul Morrissey (S) d. Derrick Lajola (H), 6-0, 4-6, 6-2
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 8:00pm PTLive