Ducks Upset No. 18 Hoyas, 57-50

Nov. 29, 2006

WASHINGTON (AP) -Aaron Brooks scored 15 points, and Oregon made up for poor shooting with hustle and rebounding to improve to 6-0 with a 57-50 upset of No. 18 Georgetown on Wednesday night.

Oregon was better than Georgetown in nearly every facet of the game, but they couldn't hit their shots until midway through the second half. The Ducks never had anything close to a comfortable lead until a 10-3 run gave them a 53-44 lead with 1:36 to play.

Bryce Taylor scored nine of his 14 points in the second half for the Ducks, who are 6-0 for the first time since the 2002-03 season. The victory was also the first ever for Oregon on the road against a ranked team in the Eastern time zone. They had previously been 0-7 on such trips.

Oregon held the rebounding edge over Georgetown until late in the game and neutralized the fearsome frontcourt of Jeff Green and Roy Hibbert, who went scoreless in the first half and combined for only nine points on 4-for-11 shooting. Green, considered a potential Big East player of the year at the start of the season, had yet another very quiet game: 2-for-4 from the field with five points and three turnovers before fouling out in the final minute.

Jonathan Wallace was the lone star for the Hoyas, scoring 17 points on 8-for-13 shooting. The rest of the team was a combined 14-for-36, and the entire team went 1-for-9 from 3-point range. The Hoyas (4-2) were a preseason Top 10 team, but they've now lost twice at home to unranked opponents, and their next game is at No. 11 Duke.

The first half was bizarre, head-shaking basketball. The Ducks moved the ball well, scrapped for loose balls, got more rebounds and had plenty of open looks - but they couldn't buy a basket. They went more than nine minutes without a point and shot 28 percent for the half. They went 2-for-14 from the 3-point arc, even though most of the shots were wide open.

The Hoyas, meanwhile, couldn't take advantage. They managed only a 10-0 run during Oregon's long drought, building only a 23-17 lead that shrunk to 25-23 at halftime. Green played passively, and Hibbert missed contested shots inside.

Oregon freshman guard Tajuan Porter, who entered the game averaging 24.0 points, hit a pair of 3-pointers early in the second half to help give Oregon a 32-31 lead. The Ducks took several four-point leads - a sizable margin in such a low-scoring game - and led 45-41 after Taylor's jumper from the left wing with 4:16 to play.

Malik Hairston followed with a jumper to extend the lead to six, and Maarty Leunen made a steal and layup with 2:54 remaining to put the Ducks ahead by eight. Brooks scored the next six points for Oregon with two layups and a pair of free throws to help put the game away.

Hairston, last season's leading scorer for the Ducks, made his season debut and scored eight points off the bench. He missed the first five games with a groin injury.

Now on Pac-12 Network
5:00 PM PT

Airing on:

  • Pac-12 Network
Get Pac-12 Networks
Pac-12 Networks Channel Finder