No. 58 Denver Down Huskies 4-3 in Utah
Jan. 22, 2007
SALT LAKE CITY - The Washington women's tennis team lost a closely contested match 4-3 to the University of Denver on Sunday in Salt Lake City, Utah. The Huskies fell to 0-2, while the No. 58-ranked Denver Pioneers improved to 1-1.
The Huskies and Pioneers split the first two doubles matches before the Pioneers grabbed the early 1-0 lead when the No. 1 doubles team of Ute Schnov and Annette Aksdal beat Victoria Brymer and Allison Rainey 7-2 in a tie breaker.
Denver added to its lead when Aksdal beat Mathilde Cor 6-0, 6-3 in the No. 1 singles match. The Huskies even the match up at 2-2 when Tara Simpson and Joyce Ardies walked off the court with straight-set victories.
Allison Rainey improved to 2-0 on the season in singles by winning her No. 6 match, but the Pioneers' had already wrapped up the match by winning the No. 4 and No 3 singles.
The Huskies return to action on Saturday, Feb. 3 when they host Sacramento State at 11:00 a.m. in the Nordstrom Tennis Center. Admission to the match is free and there will be complimentary pizza and soft drinks provided between the doubles and singles matches. Live scoring and video will be available on www.gohuskies.cstv.com.
No. 58 Denver (1-1) vs. Washington (0-2)
Sunday, Jan. 21, 2007; Salt Lake City, Utah
1. Schnov/Aksdal (DEN) d. Brymer/Rainey (UW), 9-8 (2)
2. Bauregger/Iwinski (DEN) d. Ardies/Cor (UW), 8-4
3. Wong/Simpson (UW) d. Sackmaster/Mechem (DEN), 9-7
1. Annette Aksdal (DEN) d. Mathilde Cor (UW), 6-0, 6-3
2. Tara Simpson (UW) d. Julia Bauregger (DEN), 6-4, 6-3
3. Marisa Mechem (DEN) d. Victoria Brymer (UW), 6-4, 7-5
4. Kyla Iwinski (DEN) d. Melinda Wong (UW), 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
5. Joyce Ardies (UW) d. Rachel Sackmaster (DEN), 7-5, 6-2
6. Allison Rainey (UW) d. Lorinda Boothman (DEN), 5-7, 6-4, 7-6 (3)
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 2, 3, 1
Singles: 1, 2, 5, 4, 3, 6
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive