Men's Tennis Swept by No. 3 Ohio State
Jan. 28, 2007
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The No. 18 Washington men's tennis team dropped its first match of the season, losing 7-0 to No. 3 Ohio State (3-0) at the Jesse Owens West Recreation Center in Columbus, Ohio. The Huskies (2-1) were swept in all three doubles matches and managed to win just one set in singles against the Buckeyes on Sunday.
'Their guys are really solid,' said Husky Head Coach Matt Anger about the Buckeyes, who boast a singles lineup with six players ranked in the top 100. 'We didn't serve that well and we didn't return very well either. We were in a couple of the matches, but not so much in the others.'
The Huskies' Derek Drabble (Johannesburg, South Africa) was the only Husky to win a set, taking the first set 6-4 against Justin Kronauge in the No. 4 singles match. But, the UW freshman dropped the next two sets, including a third-set tie breaker.
Alex Slovic's march up the Huskies' record book will have to wait another week after he lost in both the No. 1 doubles and singles spots. He is currently tied with Nick Quatrochi with 71 doubles wins, just one behind Eric Drew for the top spot, and is tied for sixth all-time with 83 singles wins.
Slovic fell 7-6, 6-2 to No. 62 Bryan Koniecko after an anticipated match against the nation's No. 1 player Steven Moneke never materialized. Husky senior Daniel Chu drew the assignment of taking on Moneke in the No. 2 singles spot and fell in straight sets 6-2, 7-5.
Ohio State extended its home winning-streak to 43-consecutive matches and earned its first-ever win over a Pac-10 school in 11 attempts.
The Huskies return home to face Brigham Young on Tuesday, Feb. 6 at 3 p.m in the Nordstrom Tennis Center. The Tennis Channel will be in Seattle shooting for an upcoming tape-delayed program. Admission is free, and as always, free pizza and soft drinks will be available in between the doubles and singles matches.
No. 3 Ohio State 7, No. 18 Washington 0
Sunday, Jan. 28, 2007; Columbus, Ohio
1. No. 62 Bryan Koniecko (OSU) def. No. 98 Alex Slovic (UW); 7-6, 6-2
2. No. 1 Steven Moneke (OSU) def. Daniel Chu (UW); 6-2, 7-5
3. No. 42 Devin Mullings (OSU) def. Andy Kuharszky (UW); 6-3, 7-6
4. No. 69 Justin Kronauge (OSU) def. Derek Drabble (UW); 4-6, 6-4, 7-6
5. No. 46 Chris Klingemann (OSU) def. Mike Ricks (UW); 6-1, 6-0
6. No. 64 Drew Eberly (OSU) def. David Chu (UW); 6-2, 6-3
1. Drew Eberly/Justin Kronauge (OSU) def. Alex Slovic/Andy Kuharszky (UW); 8-4
2. No. 22 Devin Mullings/Chris Klingemann (OSU) def. Derek Drabble/Daniel Chu (UW); 8-3
3. Steven Moneke/Bryan Koniecko (OSU) def. No. 35 Mike Ricks/Patrick Fischer (UW); 8-2
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive