No. 1 Stanford Opens National Team Indoors With 6-1 Victory
Feb. 1, 2007
STANFORD, Calif.- It's one up, one down for No. 1 Stanford at the National Team Indoor Championships in Madison, Wisc.
Participating in a challenging 16-team event that includes 15 teams ranked in the top-40, Stanford is sure to be tested this weekend.
No problem on the opening day of competition though, with the Cardinal (2-0) cruising past No. 17 Vanderbilt (2-3) by a 6-1 score on Thursday morning. The victory extends Stanford's dual-match streak to 88, a stretch that began at the start of the 2004 season.
Stanford captured the doubles point with straight-set wins at every position, including an 8-0 shutout by Whitney Deason and Theresa Logar at No. 3 over the Commodores' tandem of Caroline Ferrell and Hannah Blatt.
No. 8 Jessica Nguyen, appearing in her first dual match action of the year, looked solid in a 6-3, 6-3 triumph over Ferrell at the No. 4 slot.
Stanford's only loss came at the No. 3 position, as No. 13 Celia Durkin was upset by Vanderbilt's No. 42 Amanda Taylor 6-1, 6-3.
Stanford returns to the court tomorrow at 1:30 p.m. PST, squaring off against No. 11 California. The Golden Bears edged No. 12 VCU 4-3 earlier today.
No. 1 Stanford 6, No. 17 Vanderbilt 1
1) Durkin/Yelsey (STAN) d. Bertrand/Newman (VANDY) 8-6
2) Burdette/Nguyen (STAN) d. Taylor/Sveke (VANDY) 8-6
3) Deason/Logar (STAN) d. Ferrell/Blatt (VANDY) 8-0
Stanford wins doubles point; leads match 1-0
1) No. 89 Theresa Logar (STAN) d. No. 57 Taka Bertrand (VANDY) 6-3, 6-1
2) Anne Yelsey (STAN) d. No. 24 Catherine Newman (VANDY) 6-3, 6-3
3) No. 42 Amanda Taylor (VANDY) d. No. 13 Celia Durkin (STAN) 6-1, 6-3
4) No. 8 Jessica Nguyen (STAN) d. Caroline Ferrell (VANDY) 6-3, 6-3
5) Whitney Deason (STAN) d. Liberty Sveke (VANDY) 6-1, 6-2
6) Lejla Hodzic (STAN) d. Hannah Blatt (VANDY) 6-4, 5-7, 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 4, 6, 3, 1, 5
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 8:00pm PTLive