No. 1 Women's Tennis Handles No. 11 California, 6-1
Feb. 2, 2007
STANFORD, Calif.- No. 1 Stanford and No. 11 California will likely hook up in some competitive dual matches this season. On Friday afternoon, the Cardinal showed it will be ready.
The upstart Golden Bears could manage only a win at No. 2 singles, as the Cardinal (3-0) ran its improbable dual-match winning streak to 89 with a 6-1 triumph in the quarterfinal round of the National Team Indoor Championships in Madison, Wisc.
Boasting one of its best teams in recent memory that includes six nationally-ranked singles players and a pair of doubles teams ranked in the top-20, California figures to be a contender in the Pac-10.
But for the moment they're still chasing Stanford, which has now won 14 consecutive National Indoor dual matches and owns an 18-2 mark at the event.
The Cardinal captured the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead, winning at the Nos. 2 and 3 spots.
In singles action, five Stanford players recorded victories. Perhaps the most impressive win came from senior No. 89 Theresa Logar, who improved to 13-0 over the past four years in Team Indoor matches after upsetting defending NCAA singles champion No. 3 Susie Babos 6-4, 6-2 at the No. 1 position.
Stanford battles No. 6 Georgia Tech on Saturday at 1:30 p.m. PST in the semifinals.
No. 1 Stanford 6, No. 11 California 1
1) No. 2 Babos/Fodor (CAL) d. Durkin/Yelsey (STAN) 9-8 (2)
2) Burdette/Nguyen (STAN) d. No. 12 Henkel/Moore (CAL) 8-3
3) Deason/Logar (STAN) d. Ravelojaona/Bobusic (CAL) 9-8 (4)
Stanford wins doubles point; leads match 1-0
1) No. 89 Theresa Logar (STAN) d. No. 3 Susie Babos (CAL) 6-4, 6-2
2) No. 32 Zsuzsanna Fodor (CAL) d. Anne Yelsey (STAN) 6-1, 6-4
3) No. 13 Celia Durkin (STAN) d. No. 14 Nina Henkel (CAL) 6-2, 0-6, 6-3
4) No. 8 Jessica Nguyen (STAN) d. No. 34 Marion Ravelojaona (CAL) 7-6, 6-1
5) Whitney Deason (STAN) d. No. 74 Stephanie Kusano (CAL) 6-0, 6-4
6) Lejla Hodzic (STAN) d. No. 27 Cristina Visico (CAL) 6-4, 6-3 Order of finish: 1, 5, 3, 2, 4, 6
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 10:30am PTLive
TOMORROW | 4:00pm PTLive