USC Men Start Pac-10 Off Right, Top Stanford 5-2
Feb. 2, 2007
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. -- The No. 43 USC men's tennis team got their Pac-10 season off on the right foot, tacking up a 5-2 win over No. 19 Stanford to grab an important upset win and open Pac-10 play with a winning start. USC is now 4-0 overall and 1-0 in Pac-10 play. Stanford is now 0-2, 1-1.
USC hurried out to a strong start thanks to a decisive showing in the top two doubles matches. Robert Farah / Kaes Van't Hof rolled past #23 Morrissey/Muller for an 8-1 to get the ball rolling for the Trojans. Next, Jamil Al-Agba / Dejan Cvetkovic cruised to an 8-3 win over Stanford's Wire/Bruch at the No. 1 slot. With the doubles point already decided, the No. 3 match was sent to a tiebreaker to move more quickly into singles play. There, Stanford's McKean/Zeller edged out Adam Loucks / Garrett Snyder with a 7-5 tiebreaker win to claim a 6-5 match win and bring up singles action.
The determined Trojans streaked out to a 5-0 lead to secure the match win before the Cardinal were able to pull out a point. Kaes Van't Hof was on the decisive winning end of a 6-1, 6-3 decision over Blake Muller at No. 3 singles to put USC ahead 2-0. #91 Jason McNaughton put USC on the brink of victory with his 6-1, 6-0 win over Kevin Kaiser at No. 5, and then Garrett Snyder clinched the match win for the Trojans with a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Jeff Zeller from his No. 6 position. Dejan Cvetkovic added another win for good measure, topping Richard Wire 6-3, 6-4 before Stanford claimed wins at No. 4 and No. 1 to end the 5-2 win for the Trojans. At No. 4 Stanford's Eric McKean beat Robert Farah 6-4, 6-1, and then the dual match action closed down with Matt Bruch's 7-5, 6-4 win over USC senior Jamil Al-Agba at No. 1.
USC continues Pac-10 play with a home match against No. 18 California at 1 p.m. on Saturday (Feb. 3) at Marks Stadium.
No. 43 USC 5, No. 19 Stanford 2
(1) Al-Agba/Cvetkovic (USC) def. Wire/Bruch (STAN) -- 8-3
(2) Farah/Van't Hof (USC) def. #32 Morrissey/Muller (STAN) -- 8-1
(3) McKean/Zeller (STAN) def. Loucks/Snyder (USC) -- 6-5 (5)
USC wins doubles point
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
(1) Matt Bruch (STAN) def. Jamil Al-Agba (USC) -- 7-5, 6-4
(2) Dejan Cvetkovic (USC) def. Richard Wire (STAN) -- 6-3, 6-4
(3) Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. Blake Muller (STAN) -- 6-1, 6-3
(4) Eric McKean (STAN) def. Robert Farah (USC) -- 6-4, 6-1
(5) #91 Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Kevin Kaiser (STAN) -- 6-1, 6-0
(6) Garrett Snyder (USC) def. Jeff Zeller (STAN) -- 6-3, 6-1*
Order of finish: 3, 5, 6*, 2, 4, 1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 11:00am PTLive
TOMORROW | 1:00pm PTLive