No. 22 Michigan Super in 6-1 Win Over Huskies
Feb. 4, 2007
SEATTLE - Washington won the doubles point against the No. 22 Michigan Wolverines, but couldn't hold the early momentum and fell 6-1 on Sunday at Nordstrom Tennis Center. The Huskies dropped to 0-4 in the season, while Michigan improved to 3-0.
'We played great in doubles today, and that is very encouraging,' said Head Coach Jill Hultquist. 'But Michigan outclassed us in singles today. They did a great job of coming back against us.'
The Huskies, who had not won a doubles point this season, played inspired tennis to jump out to the early 1-0 lead. The No. 3 team of Allison Rainey and Morgan Ramser were the first to win their match, coming back from a 6-3 deficit to win 8-6 over Michigan's Tania Mahtani and Allie Shafner. The Huskies clinched the point when the No. 2 doubles team of Melinda Wong and Tara Simpson held on to a 6-3 advantage for a 9-7 win. Michigan rallied from a 6-3 deficit in the No. 1 doubles match to win 7-3 in a tie breaker.
Michigan quickly evened the match at 1-1 when Kara Declicata beat Allison Rainey in the No. 4 singles 6-1, 6-1, halting Rainey's seven-match win streak. The Wolverines' Tania Mahtani gave her team a 2-0 lead by winning the No. 5 singles match over UW's Melinda Wong.
The Huskies' Tara Simpson, playing her second-consecutive match at No. 1, was next off the court, dropping a 6-2, 6-4 match to Jenny Kuehn. Michigan wrapped up the match when Allie Shafner downed Lauren Summers.
The Huskies retired in the No. 2 and No. 3 singles matches to end the day.
The Huskies return to action Friday, Feb. 16 when they open up Pac-10 Conference action in Tempe, Ariz. against Arizona State at 12:30 p.m.
No. 22 Michigan (2-0) at Washington (0-3)
Sunday, Feb. 4, 2007; Seattle, Wash.
1. Declicata/Sugiyama (MICH) def. Brymer/Ardies (UW), 8-8 (7-3)
2. Simpson/Wong (UW) def. Kuehn/Shafner (MICH), 9-7
3. Rainey/Ramser (UW) def. Exon/Mahtani (MICH), 8-6
1. Jenny Kuehn (MICH) def. Tara Simpson (UW), 6-2, 6-4
2. Chisako Sugiyama (MICH) def. Joyce Ardies (UW), 6-1, 2-6, 4-1 (ret. inj.)
3. Elizabeth Exon (MICH) def. Victoria Brymer (UW), 7-6 (4), 2-1 (ret.)
4. Kara Declicata (MICH) def. Allison Rainey (UW), 6-1, 6-1
5. Tania Mahtani (MICH) def. Melinda Wong (UW), 6-1, 6-3
6. Allie Shafner (MICH) def. Lauren Summers (UW), 6-1, 7-5
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 3, 2, 1
Singles: 4, 5, 1, 6, 2, 3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 11:30am PTLive
TODAY | 1:30pm PTLive