No. 5 USC Sweeps No. 46 San Diego State
Feb. 13, 2007
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. -- The No. 5 USC women's tennis team pinned up another smooth win with a 7-0 sweep of visiting No. 46 San Diego State on Tuesday afternoon at Marks Stadium. The Women of Troy won all six singles matches in straight sets to help improve their overall record to 5-0 on the year as they turn to take a road trip to No. 2 Stanford and No. 9 Cal this weekend.
Against the Aztecs, USC gained some momentum with a series of solid doubles wins. #23 Sarah Fansler / Dianne Matias made quick work of SDSU's Cadua/Kitts at the No. 3 spot with an 8-1 win, followed by Anca Anastasiu / Lindsey Nelson's 8-3 win at the No. 1 position to get the doubles point in-hand for USC. #15 Judy DeVera / Amanda Fink then worked past Bagshaw/Nielson to win at No. 2, 8-4, and bring up singles action.
Anca Anastasiu was the first to grab another point for the Trojans, posting a 6-2, 6-0 win over Sisse Nielsen at No. 5, holding the senior undefeated in dual match singles play. #9 Sarah Fansler was next to top her Aztec opponent, beating #69 Ellie Krausova 6-3, 6-1 before Amanda Fink clinched the win for USC with a 6-2, 6-2 victory at No. 3 over SDSU's Alesya Vidov. Both players also improved their dual match singles records to 5-0 with their respective wins. At the No. 6 position, #95 Judy DeVera secured her 6-2, 6-2 victory by breaking SDSU's Ozge Atalay in the final game to put USC ahead 5-0 in the match.
At the No. 1 slot, Lindsey Nelson grabbed a win over SDSU's #51 Holly Bagshaw with a 7-5, 6-3 decision that was capped by Nelson not giving up a single point in her final service game to hold and secure her win. That left #46 Dianne Matias still plugging away against Aztec Esther Cadua at the No. 4 position. Matias trailed 1-3 in the second set before powering back to take the mach, pushing Cadua into deuce and breaking her serve to get the win.
USC now travels to Northern California, facing No. 2 Stanford at 1:30 p.m. on Friday (Feb. 16) and then playing No. 9 California at 12 p.m. on Saturday (Feb. 17).
No. 5 USC 7, No. 46 San Diego State 0
(1) Anastasiu/Nelson (USC) def. Krausova/Vidov (SDSU) -- 8-3
(2) #15 DeVera/Fink (USC) def. Bagshaw/Nielsen (SDSU) -- 8-4
(3) #23 Fansler/Matias (USC) def. Cadua/Kitts (SDSU) -- 8-1
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
(1) Lindsey Nelson (USC) def. #51 Holly Bagshaw (SDSU) -- 7-5, 6-3
(2) #9 Sarah Fansler (USC) def. #69 Ellie Krausova (SDSU) -- 6-3, 6-1
(3) Amanda Fink (USC) def. Alesya Vidov (SDSU) -- 6-2, 6-2*
(4) #46 Dianne Matias (USC) def. Esther Cadua (SDSU) -- 6-2, 6-4
(5) Anca Anastasiu (USC) def. Sisse Nielsen (SDSU) -- 6-2, 6-0
(6) #95 Judy DeVera (USC) def. Ozge Atalay (SDSU) -- 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 5, 2, 3*, 6, 1, 4