Bruins Top Hurricanes, 4-1 at USTA/ITA National Team Indoors
Feb. 16, 2007
CHICAGO - Third-seeded UCLA topped No. 14 Miami 4-1 Friday in first round play at the USTA/ITA National Men's Team Indoor Championships at the Midtown Tennis Club.
UCLA won the doubles point, then got wins in singles from Michael Look,Philipp Gruendler and Ben Kohlloeffel. Kohlloeffel, the 2006 NCAA and ITANational Indoor singles champ, clinched the win at No. 1 singles, 6-4,6-7, 6-3, over Luigi D'Agord. UCLA jumped out to a 3-0 lead and withstooda Hurricane comeback bid that sent the last four remaining matches tothird sets. Josh Cohen picked up UM's lone victory.
This is the ninth straight year UCLA (6-1) advances to the Team Indoorquarterfinals. Miami (4-2), playing in this event for the first timesince 1992, was looking to reach the final eight for the first time since1991.
This was the first meeting between the schools since 1993. UCLA leads theall-time series 10-0.
The Bruins are second all-time in Team Indoor victories (65), finalappearances (6) and titles (7). This is the 27th tournament appearance.
UCLA will face Illinois in Saturday's quarterfinals at 6:30 pm in arematch of last year's NCAA round of 16 - a 4-2 Bruin win. UCLA andIllinois last faced each other at the Team Indoors in the 2004 final (wonby UI). Miami will face Oklahoma State in a consolation match at 6:30 pm.
1. Kohlloeffel/Gruendler (UCLA) def. Cohen/D'Agord (MIAMI) 8-6
2. Vallverdu/Subramanian (MIAMI) def. Abid/Surapol (UCLA) 8-2
3. Dehaine/Jeremy Drean (UCLA) def. Nieto/Barnabas Carrega
1. Benjamin Kohlloeffel (UCLA) def. Luigi D'Agord (MIAMI) 6-4, 6-7 (7-9), 6-3
2. Haythem Abid (UCLA) vs. Daniel Vallverdu (MIAMI) 3-6, 7-5, 5-4, unfinished
3. Josh Cohen (MIAMI) def. Chris Surapol (UCLA) 4-6, 6-2, 6-1
4. Mathieu Dehaine (UCLA) vs. Vivek Subramanian (MIAMI) 2-6, 7-6 (7-2),5-4, unfinished
5. Philipp Gruendler (UCLA) def. Hector Nieto (MIAMI) 6-1, 6-3
6. Michael Look (UCLA) def. Barnabas Carrega (MIAMI) 6-2, 6-1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive