Cardinal Loses Opening Round Match to Ohio State at Indoor Nationals
Feb. 16, 2007
Stanford battled second-ranked and undefeated Ohio State in the first round of the ITA National Men's Indoor Championships in Chicago, but lost to the Buckeyes 4-0 in a match that was closer than the score indicates. The Cardinal, ranked No. 28, was playing its third straight Top 10 team in Ohio State. The National Indoors continues at the Midtown Tennis Center through Monday.
The match includes two tie-breakers to decide the doubles point and four of six singles matches that had first-set tie-breakers. The Buckeyes were able to win the doubles point and the first three singles points to win the match.
Justin Kronauge, playing No. 5 singles, made the score 2-0 Buckeyes as he beat Stanford freshman Kevin Kaiser, 6-4, 6-2. Kronauge is ranked No. 69 in the nation. Matt Bruch was beaten at No. 1 singles by Bryan Koniecko, 6-3, 6-4 and Ohio State pulled away to a 3-0 lead.
The deciding match came at No. 4. OSU's Chris Klingemann, ranked No. 46, won a first-set tie-breaker over Eric McKean, then won the second set 6-2 to close out the match and give OSU the win over the No. 15-seeded Cardinal.
After losing at No. 3 doubles when Steven Moneke and Bryan Koniecko beat McKean and Jeff Zeller, 8-4, the Cardinal and Buckeyes went to tie-breakers at both No. 1 and No. 2 doubles. In the end, Ohio State won the doubles point when Devin Mullings and Klingemann, the No. 22 ranked doubles team in the nation, beat Stanford's freshman tandem of Richard Wire and Paul Morrissey. Stanford won a 9-8 decision at No. 1 doubles after Bruch and Muller defeated Drew Eberly and Justin Kronauge.
Stanford Men's Tennis Results
February 16, 2007
Midtown Tennis Center
ITA National Team Indoor Championships
First Round: Ohio State 4, Stanford 0
Doubles (Ohio State wins doubles point)
1. Matt Bruch / Blake Muller (S) d. Drew Eberly/Justin Kronauge (Ohio State), 9-8
2. #22 Devin Mullings/Chris Klingemann (Ohio State) d. Richard Wire / Paul Morrissey (S), 9-8
3. Steven Moneke/Bryan Koniecko (Ohio State) d. Eric McKean / Jeff Zeller (S), 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. #62 Bryan Koniecko (Ohio State) d. Matt Bruch (S), 6-3, 6-4
2. Richard Wire (S) vs. #1 Steven Moneke (Ohio State), 7-6, 2-6, dnf
3. #42 Devin Mullings (Ohio State) vs. Blake Muller (S), 7-6, 4-2, dnf
4. #46 Chris Klingemann (Ohio State) d. Eric McKean (S), 7-6, 6-2
5. #69 Justin Kronauge (Ohio State) d. Kevin Kaiser (S), 6-4, 6-2
6. Drew Eberly (Ohio State) vs. Paul Morrissey (S), 7-6, 5-3, dnf
Order of finish: 5,1, 4
Records/Rankings: No. 2 Ohio State (8-0), No. 28 Stanford (0-5)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 3:00pm PTLive
Thu 3/22 | 6:00pm PTLive
Fri 3/23 | 4:00pm PTLive