Duke Beats Stanford 4-2 at Indoor Nationals
Feb. 17, 2007
No. 11 Duke won the final three singles matches to hand Stanford a 4-2 defeat in today's second round action at the ITA Men's National Indoor Championships in Chicago, IL. The Cardinal won the doubles point and led 2-1 after Matt Bruch won at No. 1 singles, but the Blue Devils rallied to win at No. 2, No. 3, No. 4 and No. 6 singles for the victory.
The loss dropped the Cardinal to 0-6 this season. Stanford has played its last four matches vs. teams ranked among the top 11 in the nation. A year ago, the Cardinal ended Duke's season with a 4-0 win in the Round of 16 at the NCAA Championships.
Today, however, Duke proved to be too strong in singles. Stanford led 1-0 after winning at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles to take the doubles point. Bruch and Blake Muller were impressive at No. 1 doubles as they beat the nation's No. 4 team, Joey Atas and David Goulet, 8-5. The Cardinal secured the point when Richard Wire and Paul Morrissey won at No. 2 doubles, defeating Kiril Dimitrov and Ned Samuelson, 8-5.
Bruch, an All-American last year as a freshman, beat Atas, ranked No. 100 in the country, 6-2, 6-1 to put the Cardinal on top 2-1.
But, the Blue Devils won the next three matches to close out the win. Kiril Dimitrov, ranked No. 54, beat Stanford's Blake Muller at No. 3, 6-3, 6-2, to tie the score at 2-2. Duke went ahead 3-2 when Peter Rodrigues handed Richard Wire a 6-3, 7-5 defeat.
The Blue Devils clinched the match at No. 6 when Aaron Carpenter beat Paul Morrissey, 7-6, 6-4.
Stanford Men's Tennis Results
February 17, 2007
Midtown Tennis Center
ITA National Team Indoor Championships
Second Round: Duke 4, Stanford 2
Doubles (Stanford wins doubles point)
1. Matt Bruch / Blake Muller (S) d. #4 Joey Atas/David Goulet (D), 8-5
2. Richard Wire / Paul Morrissey (S) d. Kiril Dimitrov/Ned Samuelson (D), 8-5
3. Peter Rodrigues/Dylan Arnould (D) d. Eric McKean / Jeff Zeller (S), 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Matt Bruch (S) d. #100 Joey Atas (D), 6-2, 6-1
2. #80 Peter Rodrigues (D) d. Richard Wire (S), 6-3, 7-5
3. #54 Kiril Dimitrov (D) d. Blake Muller (S), 6-3, 6-2
4. David Goulet (D) d. Eric McKean (S), 6-1, 6-4
5. Kevin Kaiser (S) vs. #84 Dylan Arnould (D), 6-4, 5-7, dnf
6. Aaron Carpenter (D) d. Paul Morrissey (S), 7-6, 6-4
Order of finish: 4, 1, 3, 2, 6
Records/Rankings: No. 11 Duke (4-3), No. 28 Stanford (0-6)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive