Huskies Women Fall to No.48 Arizona
Feb. 17, 2007
Tucson,Ariz. - Joyce Ardies and Melinda Wong each won their singles matches for the Washington women's tennis team, but No. 48 Arizona (5-3, 2-0) handed the winless Huskies (0-6, 0-2) their second consecutive Pac-10 loss on Saturday.
The Huskies started behind the eight ball right out of the gate as they were forced to forfeit their first game in each of the doubles matches. The Huskies were waiting on a ruling from the Pac-10 with a lineup question and came out onto the courts 12 minutes late. The officials awarded the Wilcats the first games of the matches, and the Huskies were never able to recover, dropping the three doubles matches by a score of 8-3.
The Huskies drew closer thanks to the wins by Wong and Ardies. Wong escaped with a three-set win (2-6, 6-2, 6-1) over Tina Razloznik in the No. 5 match, while Ardies took out Kasia Jakowlew (6-3, 7-6) in straight-sets.
The Wildcats tempered the Huskies rally though by winning three-set battles in the No. 4 and No. 1 singles. The Huskies' Allison Rainey lost her third set 7-5 to Arizona's Natalia Toporowska clinching the match for the home team.
Tara Simpson took Danielle Steinberg to three sets in the No. 1 singles match, but ultimately fell to Arizona's top player.
'We had a great chance to win,' said Husky Head Coach Jill Hultquist. 'But the breaks and rulings didn't go our way today.'
The Huskies return to action next week with a road trip to the Midwest for a couple of non-conference match ups against Big Ten schools. The Huskies will face Purdue on Saturday, Feb. 24 at 8 am PT and Illinois on Sunday, Feb. 25 at 9 am PT.
No. 48 Arizona 5, Washington 2
LaNelle Robson Tennis Center: Tucson, Arizona
1. Jakowlew/Toporowska (UA) def. Brymer/Ardies (UW) - 8-3
2. Steinberg/Todorova (UA) def. Simpson/Wong (UW) - 8-3
3. Mavroleon/Orletsky (UA) def. Mathilde Cor/Rainey (UW) - 8-3
1. Danielle Steinberg (UA) def. Tara Simpson (UW) - 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
2. Juliette Mavroleon (UA) def. Victoria Brymer (UW) - 6-2, 6-1
3. Joyce Ardies (UW) def. Kasia Jakowlew (UA) - 6-3, 7-6(5)
4. Natalia Toporowska (UA) def. Allison Rainey (UW) - 6-0, 6-7(3), 7-5
5. Melinda Wong (UW) def. Tina Razloznik (UA) - 2-6, 6-2, 6-1
6. Camelia Todorova (UA) def. Lauren Summers (UW) - 6-0, 6-2
Order of Finish:
Singles - 6, 2, 5, 3, 4, 1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:30pm PTLive