No. 13 USC Men Post Eighth Straight Win, Top Texas A&M 6-1
Feb. 23, 2007
LOS ANGELES, CALIF -- The No. 13 USC men's tennis team put the finishing touches on an eight-match home winning streak to open the 2007 season, topping No. 18 Texas A&M 6-1 on Friday at Marks Stadium. Jason McNaughton and Kaes Van't Hof kept their respective dual match singles slates clean with wins to help lift the Trojans to their eighth straight win. Both players remain undefeated in dual match action. As a team, the Trojans themselves are undefeated in 2007, boasting an 8-0 record as they turn to face No. 47 San Diego on the road on Saturday morning.
The Trojans made a smooth run of doubles, as two USC duos still hold undefeated dual match records in doubles play. Jamil Al-Agba / Dejan Cvetkovic and Robert Farah / Kaes Van't Hof both hold unblemished 7-0 doubles records in dual match competition, as Al-Agba/Cvetkovic won again at the No. 1 position, and Farah/Van't Hof won at No. 2. Adam Loucks / Garrett Snyder pulled out an 8-5 win at the No. 3 position to start the Trojans off on their winning run in the match.
In singles, Texas A&M made a move to put pressure on the Trojans by pulling out the first win, as Aggie Matt Bain beat USC's Gary Sacks 6-1, 6-2 at the No. 6 slot to tie up the match 1-1. USC let Texas A&M no closer, however, pounding out five straight singles wins to grab the decisive win. Van't Hof was first to give USC a leg up with a 6-0, 7-6 (9-7) win at No. 3 over Brad Williams. Cvetkovic got USC up 3-1 with a 6-1, 6-4 victory at No. 2 over Conor Pollock, and then Robert Farah clinched the win for USC with a 6-1, 7-5 victory over Clay Donato at the No. 4 position. Al-Agba would finish next, beating Jerry Makowski 6-4, 6-3 from the No. 1 spot, and then McNaughton closed things down with his seventh straight singles win, 7-6 (5), 7-5 over Luka Ocvirk.
USC next faces No. 47 San Diego at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday (Feb. 24) in San Diego.
#13 USC 6, #18 Texas A&M 1
(1) Al-Agba/Cvetkovic (USC) def. Wooten/Joelsen (TA&M) -- 9-7
(2) Farah/Van't Hof (USC) def. Pollock/Bain (TA&M) -- 8-4
(3) Loucks/Snyder (USC) def. Nallon/Donato (TA&M) -- 8-5
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
(1) Jamil Al-Agba (USC) def. Jerry Makowski (TA&M) -- 6-4, 6-3
(2) Dejan Cvetkovic (USC) def. Conor Pollock (TA&M) -- 6-1, 6-4
(3) Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. Brad Williams (TA&M) -- 6-0, 7-6 (9-7)
(4) Robert Farah (USC) def. Clay Donato (TA&M) -- 6-1, 7-5*
(5) Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Luka Ocvirk (TA&M) -- 7-6 (5), 7-5
(6) Matt Bain (TA&M) def. Gary Sacks (USC) -- 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish: 6, 3, 2, 4*, 1, 5