Cardinal Wins Third Straight With 4-3 Win Over Arizona
Feb. 24, 2007
The Cardinal won their third consecutive match as Stanford handed visiting Arizona a 4-3 defeat today at the Taube Tennis Center. The Cardinal, which beat Arizona State yesterday, is now 3-6 overall. Blake Muller clinched the match for Stanford with his win at No. 2 singles.
Stanford led 1-0 after winning the doubles point, then took a commanding 3-0 lead when Jeff Zeller and Richard Wire won at No. 6 and No. 1 singles in straight sets. The Wildcats closed the gap to 3-1 with a victory at No. 4, but Stanford clinched the match at No. 2 singles when Blake Muller beat Bruno Alcala, 6-3, 6-7, 6-2.
Zeller made quick work of Alex Labrosse as he recorded a 6-0, 6-3 win to give his team a 2-0 lead. Wire followed shortly thereafter when he disposed of Claudio Christen at No. 1, 7-6, 6-1.
Peter Zimmer's win at No. 4 over Stanford's Kevin Kaiser made the score 3-1, but Muller clinched the match for Stanford with his win.
The Wildcats won the final two singles matches at No. 3 and No. 5 to close the gaps.Ravid Hezi won a tough, three-set match over the Cardinal's Eric McKean at No. 3 singles, winning 7-5, 3-6, 6-3. At No. 5, Jason Labrosse defeated freshman Paul Morrissey, 6-2, 5-7, 6-4.
Stanford won the doubles point, winning all three matches, to take a 1-0 lead heading into singles play. Kaiser and Muller, playing No. 1, beat Arizona's Christen and Alcala, 9-7. At No. 2, Morrissey and Wire took an 8-4 decision over UA's Francois VanderMerwe and Zimmer while at No. 3, McKean and Zeller defeated the Wildcat's Jason Labrosse and Ravid Hezi, 8-4.
Stanford Men's Tennis Results
February 24, 2007
Taube Tennis Center
Stanford 4, Arizona 3
Doubles (Stanford wins doubles point)
1. Kevin Kaiser / Blake Muller (S) d. Claudio Christen / Bruno Alcala (A) 9-7
2. Paul Morrissey / Richard Wire (S) d. Peter Zimmer / Francois VanderMerwe (A), 8-4
3. Eric McKean / Jeff Zeller (S) d. Jason Labrosse / Ravid Hezi (A), 8-4
1. Richard Wire (S) d. Claudio Christen (A), 7-6, 6-1
2. Blake Muller (S) d. Bruno Alcala (A), 6-3, 6-7, 6-2
3. Ravid Hezi (A) d. Eric McKean (S), 7-5, 3-6, 6-3
4. Peter Zimmer (A) d. Kevin Kaiser (S), 7-6, 7-5
5. Jason Labrosse (A) d. Paul Morrissey (S), 6-2, 5-7, 6-4
6. Jeff Zeller (S) d. Alex Labrosse (A), 6-0, 6-3
Order of finish: 6, 1, 4, 2*, 3, 5
* clinching match
Records/Rankings: No. 25 Stanford (3-6), Arizona (2-6)