UW Nets 6-1 Win Over San Diego State
Feb. 25, 2007
SEATTLE - The Washington men's tennis team completed a perfect seven match homestand with a 6-1 victory over San Diego State on Sunday. The No. 15 Huskies (9-1) only dropped one singles match on the day to send the visiting Aztecs (2-5) to their fifth-straight defeat.
Washington took the early advantage by sweeping all three doubles matches. Mike Ricks and Patrik Fischer improved to 14-3 on the season with an 8-3 win at No. 2, while Alex Slovic and Daniel Chu each earned career win number 75. The Huskies improved to 23-5 in all doubles matches during head-to-head duals this season.
Although the UW won five of the six singles matches, they were closer than the scores indicated. Fischer and Chu were the only Huskies to escape the singles matches without dropping a set or being forced to a tie breaker.
Slovic, the No. 83 ranked singles player, was the lone Husky to lose to the Aztecs. He dropped a third-set super tie breaker 10-5 to No. 68 Markus Dickhardt.
Andy Kuharszky improved to 9-1 in dual matches and 16-2 overall with his seventh-straight singles win. He beat Juan Gomez 7-6 (7), 6-3 in his third-career match at the No. 2 singles spot.
'Now we'll try to take care of business on the road,' said Husky Head Coach Matt Anger of his streaking Huskies. 'We're definitely better than last time we went on the road. I am excited for this upcoming trip.'
The Huskies hit the road for the first time since dropping a 7-0 decision to No. 3 Ohio State on Jan. 28. Washington will face the No. 24 Minnesota Golden Gophers on Saturday, March 3 at 12 p.m PT and No. 9 Notre Dame on Monday, March 5 at 12 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 25, 2007; Seattle, Wash.
#50 San Diego State (2-5) at #15 Washington (9-1)
UW 6, San Diego State 1
1. Kuharszky/Daniel Chu (UW) def. Groh/A. Gomez (SDST), 8-3
2. Fischer/Ricks (UW) def. Sabo/Billy Timu (SDST), 8-3
3. Kuharszky/Drabble (UW) def. Dickhardt/J. Gomez (SDST), 8-7 (4)
1. #68 Markus Dickhardt (SDST) def. #83 Alex Slovic (UW), 4-6, 7-5, 10-5
2. Andy Kuharszky (UW) def. Juan Gomez (SDST), 7-6 (7), 6-3
3. Daniel Chu (UW) def. Anthony Gomez (SDST), 6-3, 6-2
4. Derek Drabble (UW) def. Robert Sabo (SDST), 7-6 (0), 6-4
5. Patrik Fischer (UW) def. Achim Ceban (SDST), 6-2, 6-3
6. David Chu (UW) def. Billy Timu (SDST), 7-6 (3), 6-0
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 2, 1, 3
Singles: 5, 6, 3, 2, 4, 1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 4:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 1:00pm PTLive