No. 20 Women's Tennis Upsets No. 4 North Carolina 5-2
March 3, 2007
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - The No. 20 ASU Women's Tennis stepped up Saturday afternoon in Chapel Hill to soundly defeat the fourth-ranked North Carolina Tarheels 5-2. The Sun Devils went 2-for-three in doubles and four-for-six in singles play. ASU is now 7-3 on the season as they head to Durham to face the No. 11 Duke Blue Devils tomorrow.
ASU came out on fire in doubles as they took two from the Tarheels with the No. 6 team of Kady Pooler and Roxanne Clarke topping the No. 9 team of Jenna Long and Sara Anundsen 8-4 while teammates Rebecca Rankin and Nadia Abdala sealed the point with a 8-6 win over UNC's Austin Smith and Katrina Tsang.
In singles action the Sun Devils were clicking on all cylinders as they took three matches from the Tarheels in straight sets. No. 68 Nadia Abdala took on No. 79 Katrina Tsang in the two spot coming through with a tough 6-2, 4-6, 1-0(4) win for the Devils.
ASU will now head to Durham, N.C. to face the #11 Duke Blue Devils tomorrow afternoon before returning to Tempe.
Results of #20 ASU vs. #4 UNC
1. No. 6 Roxanne Clarke/Kady Pooler def. No. 9 Jenna Long/Sara Anundsen, 8-4
2. No. 17 Cailtin Collins/Sanaz Marand def. Sabrina Capannolo/Jessica Leitch, 8-3
3. No. 46 Rebecca Rankin/Nadia Abdala def. Austin Smith/Katrina Tsang, 8-6
1. No. 4 Jenna Long def. No. 100 Sabrina Cappanalo, 6-4, 6-3
2. No. 68 Nadia Abdala def. No. 79 Katrina Tsang, 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (4)
3. Roxanne Clarke def. No. 80 Austin Smith, 6-4, 6-0
4. No. 71 Rebecca Rankin def. Sara Anundsen, 6-3, 6-4
5. Kady Pooler def. Caitlin Collins, 7-5, 6-1
6. No. 68 Sanaz Marand def. Laila Abdala, 7-6 (3), 2-6, 7-5