No. 8 USC Overpowers Huskies
March 3, 2007
SEATTLE - For a second-consecutive day, a Los Angeles area Pac-10 school took out the Washington Huskies at Nordstrom Tennis Center. No. 8 USC (8-2, 2-0 in Pac-10) swept all three doubles matches and did not drop a set en route to a 7-0 victory over Washington (1-9, 0-4).
'It was a tough weekend for us and we got to see two really great teams and why they deserve to be ranked as highly as they are,' said Head Coach Jill Hultquist of USC and UCLA. 'We got a good glimpse of where we need to be to be able to compete against teams like these.'
USC's put a singles lineup consisting of four nationally ranked players up against the Huskies. Washington was game for the first set of all the matches against the ranked Trojans, but eventually succumbed to the talented squad from USC.
No. 20 Lindsey Nelson took on the UW's Mathilde Cor in the No. 1 singles, while the Huskies' Tara Simpson had the unenviable task of taking on No. 12 Sarah Fansler in the No. 2 singles match. Nelson and Fansler played almost flawless tennis as they took out the Huskies top two players.
Joyce Ardies and Melinda Wong faced ranked opponents in the No. 3 and No. 4 singles matches and looked up to the task early. Both of the Huskies had the opponents on the ropes in the first sets, but could not hold on. In the second set, Ardies and Wong were outmatched by No. 89 Amanda Fink and No. 48 Anca Anastaslu, respectively.
Although Washington was outmatched this weekend, Hultquist was still positive about the weekend and the lesson learned.
'The girls are working really hard and it's all I can ask from them,' said Hultquist.
Washington will take two weeks off before taking the court again. The Huskies will travel to Pullman to take on Washington State on Sunday, March 18 at 12 p.m.
Saturday, March 3, 2007; Seattle, Wash.
USC (8-2, 2-0) at Washington (1-9, 0-4)
USC 7, UW 0
1. Smekodub/Nelson (USC) def. Ardies/Cor (UW), 8-2
2. #31 DeVera/Fink (USC) def. Wong/Simspon (UW), 8-1
3. Fansler/Anastaslu (USC) def. Ramser/Rainey (UW), 8-5
1. #20 Lindsey Nelson (USC) def. Mathilde Cor (UW), 6-3, 6-1
2. #12 Sarah Fansler (USC) def. Tara Simpson (UW), 6-1, 6-0
3. #89 Amanda Fink (USC) def. Joyce Ardies (UW), 6-4, 6-2
4. #48 Anca Anastaslu (USC) def. Melinda Wong (UW), 7-5, 6-1
5. Judy DeVera (USC) def. Allison Rainey (UW), 6-1, 6-1
6. Julie Smekodub (USC) def. Morgan Ramser (UW), 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 2, 1, 3
Singles: 6, 5, 1, 2, 4, 3
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive