No. 8 Notre Dame Outguns No. 15 Huskies
March 5, 2007
South Bend, Ind. - Husky senior Mike Ricks was the only UW player to earn a point as the No. 8 Notre Dame Fighting Irish recorded a 6-1 victory over No. 15 Washington on Monday at the Eck Tennis Pavilion. The Irish improved to 11-2 on the season, while the Huskies fell to 9-3 -- all three losses coming on the road.
'They performed way better than us,' said Husky Head Coach Matt Anger of Notre Dame. 'It was a bad road trip, perhaps one of the most disapponting road trips I've been on.'
The Huskies also dropped a 5-2 decision at Minnesota on Saturday.
Ricks recorded the only singles win for the Huskies, battling back from a set down to beat Andrew Roth 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 in the No. 6 singles match.
Slovic and Chu each ran their career doubles win total to a Husky record 77, and Chu tied Ornello Arlati for eighth on the career combined wins list at 143.
Despite Slovic and Chu's win, the Irish had already clinched the first two doubles matches to grab the early 1-0 lead.
Notre Dame never let up from there; winning the first five singles matches before Ricks salvaged a match for the visiting Dawgs.
Stephen Bass, the 11th-ranked player nationally, had an easy 6-1, 6-4 win over No. 84 Slovic in the number one singles match. In the No. 2 singles match, Parbu, the 27th-ranked player in the nation, breezed by Chu with a 6-1, 6-1 victory.
Andy Kuharszky fell in the No. 3 singles match to No. 94 Brett Helgeson. Kuharszky dropped to a team-best 16-4 on the season.
The Huskies return to action this Friday, March 9 with a 2 p.m. match at the Nordstrom Tennis Center against the Gonzaga Bulldogs.
Monday, March 5, 2007; South Bend, Ind.
#15 Washington (9-2) at #8 Notre Dame (11-2)
Notre Dame 6, UW 1
1. Daniel Chu/Slovic (UW) def. #9 Keckley/Parbhu (ND), 8-4
2. Helgeson/King (ND) def. Fischer/Ricks (UW), 8-4
3. Bass/Roth (ND) def. Drabble/Kuharszky (UW), 8-5
1. #11 Stephen Bass (ND) def. #84 Alex Slovic (UW), 6-1, 6-4
2. #27 Sheeva Parbu (ND) def. Daniel Chu (UW), 6-1, 6-1
3. #94 Brett Helgeson (ND) def. Andy Kuharszky (UW), 6-3, 7-5
4. Ryan Keckley (ND) def. Patrik Fischer (UW), 6-3, 7-5
5. Barry King (ND) def. Derek Drabble (UW), 6-3, 6-2
6. Mike Ricks (UW) def. Andrew Roth (ND), 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 2, 3, 1
Singles: 2, 5, 1, 3, 4, 6
TODAY | 4:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 1:00pm PTLive