Killmer, Huskies Win Titles At Washington National Winter Championships
March 6, 2007
AUBURN, Wash. - Washington sophomore Chris Killmer won the individual title and the Husky men's golf junior varsity squad won the team title as the Washington National Winter Championships wrapped up in Auburn, Tuesday afternoon.
Washington shot 4-over par 292 over the final 18 holes to finish the tournament with a three-round final score of 11-over 875. The Huskies won the title by three strokes over a JV team from Oregon that finished 14-over 878. The University of British Columbia finished third (21-over 885).
Washington's first-place standing was bolstered by the Husky one-two finish of Killmer and sophomore Kellen Eakin. Killmer finished the tournament at 5-under 211, while Eakin was one stroke behind his fellow teammate at 4-under 212. Both Huskies were just two of three players to finish the tournament under-par.
'I'm excited,' Husky head coach Matt Thurmond said of his team's performance. 'We won the tournament and we won it without having a throw-out score. That's a great performance for the guys and to finish one and two, individually, with just three scores under par they kind of ran away with it. Chris (Killmer) had one of the best rounds I've seen this year. He was 4-over par after three holes and came back and played the rest of the way 6-under. He showed a lot of heart today. And Kellen (Eakin) was just rock solid all tournament, never really made any major mistakes and looked like a veteran out there. I'm really excited for those two guys.'
Killmer maintained his position atop the leaderboard after the first two rounds ended Monday, shooting a 2-under 70 in the final round Tuesday. Killmer tallied rounds of 1-under 71 and 2-under 70 in the first two rounds. Eakin also carded a 2-under 70 during today's final round, after shooting rounds of 4-under 68 and 2-over 74 over the opening 36 holes.
Husky freshman Darren Wallace joined Killmer and Eakin as top-10 finishers, ending the tournament tied for 10th at 6-over 222. Wallace shot 1-over 73 in the final round, Tuesday. Freshman Chris Evans rounded out the Huskies' four-man lineup, carding a 7-over 79 in the final round and finishing tied for 22nd overall at 14-over 230.
The Huskies 'varsity' team will be back in action in a matter of days, traveling to Las Vegas, Nev., for the 2007 Southern Highlands Collegiate Championship, held March 9-11 at the Southern Highlands Golf Club.
Washington National Winter Championships
Host: University of Washington
Washington National Golf Club; Auburn, Wash.
Par 72, 7304-Yards
March 6, 2007
1. Washington JV 287-296-292-875, +11
2. Oregon JV 295-290-293-878, +14
3. British Columbia 298-291-296-885, +21
4. Oregon State JV 302-301-289-892, +28
5. St. Martin's 307-308-302-917, +53
5. Western Washington 298-310-309-917, +53
7. Concordia 313-304-305-922, +58
1. Chris Killmer, Washington 71-70-70-211, -5
2. Kellen Eakin, Washington 68-74-70-212, -4
3. Sean Hurley, UBC 71-72-72-215, -1
4. Cory Renfrew, UBC 71-73-74-218, +2
4. Marcus Sostak, Oregon 71-74-73-218, +2
4. Chris Holway, Oregon 72-75-71-218, +2
7. Zeke Reyna, Oregon 73-69-77-219, +3
8. Jeremiah Oliver, Oregon State 73-76-71-220, +4
9. Paul Peterson, Oregon State 79-71-71-221, +5
10. Craig O'Meara, Idaho* 70-77-75-222, +6
10. Darren Wallace, Washington 74-75-73-222, +6
*competed as individual
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Wed 9/27 | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 9/28 | 3:30pm PTLive
Thu 9/28 | 5:30pm PTLive