Florida State Hands Cardinal 7-0 Loss
March 7, 2007
Stanford saw its three-match winning streak come to an end this evening as visiting Florida State handed the Cardinal a 7-0 non-conference defeat at the Taube Tennis Center. Stanford had won its last three matches coming into tonight's matchup with the Seminoles, but after winning the doubles point, Florida State quickly scored victories at the bottom of the singles lineup to secure the match.
The Cardinal saw its record drop to 3-7 overall while Florida State improved to 9-4. Stanford will face California on Saturday in Berkeley, then take a 16-day break before returning on March 26 to face BYU.
In tonight's match, Florida State won at No. 6, No. 5 and No. 4 singles to clinch the match at 4-0. Bradley Mixson beat Jeff Zeller at No. 6, 6-1, 6-4, then Paul Morrissey was beaten by Chris Cloer, 6-3, 6-2 to put Stanford behind 3-0. The clinching match came at No. 4 where Sam Chang defeated Kevin Kaiser, 6-1, 6-4.
The most competitive match of the night was the No. 1 singles matchup. Freshman Richard Wire won the first set over the Seminole's Ytai Abougzir, 6-4, lost the second set 6-1 and was edged out in the third set 7-5.
Florida State 7, Stanford 0
Doubles (Florida State wins doubles point)
1. Kevin Kaiser / Blake Muller (S) d. Ytai Abougzir / Maciek Sykut (FS), 8-6
2. Jonathas Sucupira / Sam Chang (FS) d. Paul Morrissey / Richard Wire (S), 9-7
3. Jean-Yves Aubone / Bradley Mixson (FS) d. Eric McKean / Jeff Zeller (S), 8-5
1. Ytai Abougzir (FS) d. Richard Wire (S), 4-6, 6-1, 7-5
2. Jean-Yves Aubone (FS) d. Blake Muller (S), 6-1, 7-6
3. Maciek Sykut (FS) d. Eric McKean (S), 6-3, 4-6, 1-0
4. Sam Chang (FS) d. Kevin Kaiser (S), 6-1, 6-4
5. Chris Cloer (FS) d. Paul Morrissey (S), 6-3, 6-2
6. Bradley Mixson (FS) d. Jeff Zeller (S), 6-1, 6-4
Order of finish: 6-5-4-2-3-1
Records/Rankings: No. 31 Florida State (9-4), No. 36 Stanford (3-7)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive