No. 19 Huskies Tally Dominating 7-0 Win Over Gonzaga
March 9, 2007
SEATTLE - Alex Slovic and Daniel Chu each won their Husky record 78th career doubles match, and Slovic added his 87th career singles win as No. 19 Washington (10-3) beat Gonzaga (5-7) on Friday at the Nordstrom Tennis Center. The Huskies defeated Gonzaga 7-0 to earn their 18th-straight home victory.
Slovic, a senior from Pancevo, Yugoslavia, beat Yakima's Bryce Cooper 6-0, 6-1 to move into sole possession of fifth-place all-time on the UW career singles wins list. He also upped his career doubles and singles win totals to 165, while Chu upped his total to 144.
Andy Kuharszky improved to 10-3 in dual matches on the season, 17-4 overall, with a 6-1, 6-1 victory in the No. 2 singles, while Patrik Fischer earned his first career win at No. 3 singles with a 6-0, 6-0 whitewashing of Gonzaga's Brett Womack.
Derek Drabble's match at the No. 4 singles spot was the last one to finish, but the Husky freshman was able to prevail over Gonzaga's Marco Antonio Pineda 6-3, 6-4.
In the No. 5 singles, Michael Ricks won 6-0, 6-2, while Andy Gerst won 6-2, 6-2 in the No. 6 singles. Gerst was making his first appearance of the season in singles for the Huskies.
The Huskies only dropped 16 games in 12 singles sets. The lone match Gonzaga won was the No. 3 doubles match, where Cooper and Roman Dojcak beat Holden Ching and Drabble.
The Huskies wrap up finals at the University of Washington before embarking on a road trip to Hawai'i. Washington will face Nevada on Monday, March 19 at 2 p.m. and the University of Hawai'i on Wednesday, March 21 at 7 p.m.
Friday, March 9, 2007; Seattle, Wash.
Gonzaga (5-7) at #19 Washington (10-3)
UW 7, Gonzaga 0
1. Slovic/Daniel Chu (UW) def. Radetzky/Womack (GU), 8-3
2. Gerst/Kuharszky (UW) def. Charles Adams/Pineda (GU), 8-2
3. Cooper/Dojcak (GU) def. Holden Ching/Drabble (UW), 8-5
1. Alex Slovic (UW) def. Bryce Cooper (GU), 6-0, 6-1
2. Andy Kuharszky (UW) def. Roman Dojcak (GU), 6-1, 6-1
3. Patrik Fischer (UW) def. Brett Womach (GU), 6-0, 6-0
4. Derek Drabble (UW) def. Marco Antonio Pineda (GU), 6-3, 6-4
5. Michael Ricks (UW) def. Cooper Fratt (GU), 6-0, 6-2
6. Andy Gerst (UW) def. Zack Radetzky (GU), 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 2, 1, 3
Singles: 1, 3, 5, 2, 6, 4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 11:00am PTLive
TOMORROW | 1:00pm PTLive