Cal Beats Stanford 7-0 in Berkeley
March 10, 2007
Stanford concluded the winter quarter with a 7-0 loss to Cal at the Hellman Tennis Complex in Berkeley. The Cardinal, now 3-8 in 2007, take a 16-day break for for dead week and finals. Stanford next plays on March 26 when they host Santa Clara and BYU in a rare tennis doubleheader.
Today, however, it was all Bears as Cal (7-4) won the doubles point, then all but one set in the six singles matches to claim the victory. Stanford once again was playing without its number one player, Matt Bruch, while sophomore Blake Muller was able to play doubles, but could not participate in singles.
At No. 1 singles, Cal's Pierre Mouillon, ranked 23rd in the nation, defeated Cardinal freshman Richard Wire in a close 7-6, 7-6 match. Eric McKean lost his match at No. 2 singles to the Bear's Tyler Brown, but he was able to record Stanford's only set victory today. Brown won the match, however, 7-6, 4-6, 1-0.
At No. 3-6, Cal swept each of the matches in straight sets. Daniel Sebescen beat Stanford's Kevin Kaiser at No. 3, Eoin Heavey bested Paul Morrissey at No. 4, Kallim Stewart defeated Jeff Zeller at No. 5 and Ken Nakahara beat David Ryan at No. 6.
Cal 7, Stanford 0
Doubles (Cal wins doubles point)
1. John Pettit / Tyler Brown (Cal) d. Kevin Kaiser / Blake Muller (S), 8-6
2. Paul Morrissey / Richard Wire (S) d. Daniel Sebescen / Pierre Mouillon (Cal), 8-6
3. Eoin Heavey / Geoff Chizevar (Cal) d. Eric McKean / Jeff Zeller (S), 8-4
1. #23 Pierre Mouillon (Cal) d. Richard Wire (S), 7-6, 7-6
2. Tyler Brown (Cal) d. Eric McKean (S), 7-6, 4-6, 1-0 (0)
3. Daniel Sebescen (Cal) d. Kevin Kaiser (S), 6-3, 6-3
4. Eoin Heavey (Cal) d. Paul Morrissey (S), 6-1, 6-3
5. Kallim Stewart (Cal) d. Jeff Zeller (S), 6-4, 6-4
6. Ken Nakahara (Cal) d. David Ryan (S), 6-1, 6-1
Records: Stanford (3-8), Cal (7-4)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 2:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 4:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive