No. 4 Cardinal Shuffles Lineup; Routs No. 26 Oregon 7-0
March 10, 2007
STANFORD, Calif- Different faces. Different lineup combinations. Same result.
Despite singles victory leader Jessica Nguyen being unavailable due to injury and regulars Celia Durkin and Anne Yelsey also limited in competition, No. 4 Stanford still managed to post a dominating 7-0 shutout of No. 26 Oregon on Saturday afternoon at the Taube Tennis Center with a shuffled lineup.
The Cardinal, which notched its first shutout win since blanking UC Davis back on Jan. 25 in the season opener, improves to 10-1. The Ducks fall to 8-4 after enduring back-to-back 7-0 losses during their Bay Area road trip.
Stanford took a 1-0 lead after capturing the doubles point, thanks to an 8-4 victory by Whitney Deason and Theresa Logar at the No. 3 spot as the clincher. The Cardinal's first doubles win of the day came at the No. 2 position, as Celia Durkin and Lejla Hodzic cruised to an 8-1 triumph. It marked the first time this year that Durkin and Hodzic had teamed up in doubles.
A switched-up singles slate yielded six more wins for the Cardinal- all coming in straight sets. Playing at the No. 2 spot for the first time in her career, Durkin easily handled Oregon's Carmen Seremata 6-1, 6-1.
Making her dual match debut at the No. 6 position, Megan Doheny gave the Cardinal a 3-0 lead following her 6-3, 6-3 victory over Oregon's Claudia Hirt. Doheny, who entered today's contest with a 5-5 mark and 6-9 for her career, had been kept off the court for much of the year with an ankle injury.
Lindsay Burdette and Lejla Hodzic, both playing one step higher in the singles ladder, coasted to easy wins. Burdette claimed a 6-3, 6-2 decision at No. 4 while Hodzic defeated Monica Hoz de Villa 6-2, 6-2 at No. 5.
Stanford hosts No. 34 Texas on Sunday at noon.
No. 4 Stanford 7, No. 26 Oregon 0
1) No. 41 Burdette/Yelsey (STAN) d. Dieskova/Olivos (ORE) 8-5
2) Durkin/Hodzic (STAN) d. Seremata/Hirt (ORE) 8-1
* 3) Deason/Logar (STAN) d. Powaska/Hoz de Villa (ORE) 8-4
order of finish: 2, 1, 3
* clinched match
1) No. 14 Theresa Logar (STAN) d. Dominika Dieskova (ORE) 6-4, 7-5
2) No. 8 Celia Durkin (STAN) d. Carmen Seremata (ORE) 6-1, 6-1
3) No. 29 Whitney Deason (STAN) d. Ana Cecilia Olivos (ORE) 6-1, 7-6 (7-4)
4) No. 75 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) d. Anna Powaska (ORE) 6-3, 6-2
5) Lejla Hodzic (STAN) d. Monica Hoz de Villa (ORE) 6-2, 6-2
6) Megan Doheny (STAN) d. Claudia Hirt (ORE) 6-3, 6-3
order of finish: 2, 6, 5, 4, 1, 3