No. 11 USC Women Post 4-3 Win Over No. 21 ASU
March 16, 2007
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. - The No. 11 USC women's tennis team pinned up its sixth straight win with a 4-3 decision over visiting No. 21 Arizona State on Friday afternoon at Marks Stadium. Despite dropping the doubles point to start, the Women of Troy tacked up three singles wins to get in position for the victory, then got the match-clinching win from #13 Lindsey Nelson to improve the Trojans' overall record to 11-2 and hold a 3-0 mark in Pac-10 play.
The doubles point went to the Sun Devils after ASU's #6 Pooler/Clarke topped USC's Lindsey Nelson / Julie Smekodub 8-3 at the No. 1 position, and Leitch/Nabdala fought off a comeback attempt by Anca Anastasiu / Dianne Matias to win 8-6 at No. 3 to claim the first point of the match. USC's #37 Judy DeVera / Amanda Fink pulled out an 8-6 victory at No. 2 to remain undefeated in dual match action, however, logging their 12th straight doubles victory this season.
As the teams moved into singles action, Amanda Fink rolled out to a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Roxanne Clarke at the No. 3 position to tie up the match 1-1. #15 Sarah Fansler followed with an equally decisive victory in a 6-1, 6-2 win over #45 Nadia Abdala at No. 2, just before Anca Anastasiu made it a 3-1 lead for the Women of Troy with her 6-3, 6-2 win over #122 Rebecca Rankin from the No. 4 spot. ASU closed in to 3-2 when Laila Abdala grabbed a 6-2, 6-4 win over Julie Smekodub in the No. 6 match, only to have USC's #13 Lindsey Nelson steal away the win for the Trojans just moments later with a 7-6 (3), 6-4 win over #64 Sabrina Cappanolo at the No. 1 slot. With the match decided, the No. 5 singles battle went into a third-set tiebreaker. USC's #91 Dianne Matias fought back from a 1-9 deficit in the tiebreaker, but ended up on the losing end, as #115 Kady Pooler pulled off the 7-5, 2-6, (10-8) win to make it a 4-3 final in USC's favor.
The Women of Troy return to action tomorrow (March 17) for a 12 p.m. match against #32 Arizona for a shot at a fourth Pac-10 win.
#11 USC 4, #21 Arizona State 3
(1) #6 Pooler/Clarke (ASU) def. Nelson/Smekodub (USC) - 8-3
(2) #37 DeVera/Fink (USC) def. Rankin/Labdala (ASU) - 8-6
(3) Leitch/Nabdala (ASU) def. Anastasiu/Matias (USC) - 8-6
ASU wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
(1) #13 Lindsey Nelson (USC) def. #64 Sabrina Capannolo (ASU) - 7-6 (3), 6-4*
(2) #15 Sarah Fansler (USC) def. #45 Nadia Abdala (ASU) - 6-1, 6-2
(3) Amanda Fink (USC) def. Roxanne Clarke (ASU) - 6-1, 6-2
(4) Anca Anastasiu (USC) def. #122 Rebecca Rankin (ASU) - 6-3, 6-2
(5) #115 Kady Pooler (ASU) def. #91 Dianne Matias (USC) - 7-5, 2-6, (10-8)
(6) Laila Abdala (ASU) def. Julie Smekodub (USC) - 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 3, 2, 4, 6, 1*, 5
Thu 5/25 | 6:00pm PTLive
Fri 5/26 | 10:30am PTLive
Fri 5/26 | 4:00pm PTLive