No. 4 Trojans Back On Track, Beat ASU 6-1
March 16, 2007
TEMPE, ARIZ. -- The No. 4 USC men's tennis team rebounded from its first loss of the season with a decisive 6-1 road win over No. 51 Arizona State on Friday in Tempe, Ariz. The Trojans had fallen to top-ranked Georgia on Wednesday, but got back into control against the Sun Devils with sweep of doubles and four quick singles wins to secure victory. USC improves to 12-1 overall with the win.
Playing with a slightly different doubles set-up than in recent matches, USC reeled off three wins to secure the doubles point. Senior-freshman duo Dejan Cvetkovic / Gary Sacks teamed up for the first time and tacked up the first doubles win of the day with an 8-3 win at the No. 2 spot. Then Robert Farah / Kaes Van't Hof moved up to the No. 1 position and topped Miller/Brooklin 8-5 to clinch the point for USC. Another new doubles pair -- Jamil Al-Agba / Garrett Snyder -- followed suit with an 8-4 win at No. 3, and the teams soon transitioned into singles play.
Kaes Van't Hof helped USC to a 2-0 lead with a 6-2, 6-3 win at the No. 3 slot over ASU's Wes Miller, and then Robert Farah followed with a No. 4 singles win in a 6-3, 6-1 decision over Nick Hegarty. #77 Dejan Cvetkovic then secured the win for the Trojans with a 6-4, 7-5 win at the No. 1 position over Juan Carlos Rebaza, just before #45 Jamil Al-Agba tacked up the fourth straight singles win for USC to make it 5-0 with his 6-1, 7-6 (2) victory over Matt Brooklyn. Although #113 Jason McNaughton stumbled with a 6-3, 6-4 loss to T.J. Bellama at No. 5, Gary Sacks closed things down for the Trojans with a 4-6, 6-4, (10-8) win over Murilo Souza in the No. 6 position.
USC returns to action tomorrow (March 17) with a road match against #62 Arizona at 1 p.m. in Tucson.
#4 USC 6, #51 Arizona State 1
(1) Farah/Van't Hof (USC) def. Miller/Brooklyn (ASU) -- 8-5
(2) Cvetkovic/Sacks (USC) def. Hegarty/Rebaza (ASU) -- 8-3
(3) Al-Agba/Snyder (USC) def. Souza/Bellarma (ASU) -- 8-4
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
(1) Dejan Cvetkovic (USC) def. Juan Carlos Rebaza (ASU) -- 6-3, 7-5*
(2) Jamil Al-Agba (USC) def. Matt Brooklyn (ASU) -- 6-1, 7-6 (2)
(3) Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. Wes Miller (ASU) -- 6-2, 6-3
(4) Robert Farah (USC) def. Nick Hegarty (ASU) -- 6-3, 6-1
(5) T.J. Bellarma (ASU) def. Jason McNaughton (ASU) -- 6-3, 6-4
(6) Gary Sacks (USC) def. Murilo Souza (ASU) -- 4-6, 6-4, (10-8)
Order of finish:3, 4, 1*, 2, 5, 6
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 11:00am PTLive
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 3:00pm PTLive