Men's Tennis Shuts Out Arizona State, 7-0
March 17, 2007
Tempe, Ariz. - The eighth-ranked UCLA men's tennis team picked up its 11th victory of the season on Saturday, downing Arizona State, 7-0 at the Whiteman Tennis Center. The Bruins, who defeated Arizona by the same score on Friday, improve to 11-3 overall.
UCLA's Philipp Gruendler and Benjamin Kohlloeffel improved to 16-0 on the season with an 8-3 victory at court No. 1 over Matt Brooklyn/Wes Miller. Gruendler and Kohlloeffel are now 13-0 in dual matches.
After claiming the doubles point, the Bruins quickly posted six straight-set singles wins to claim the shutout.
UCLA is off next week for final exams. The Bruins next return to action on Friday, Mar. 30, hosting Oregon at 1:30 p.m.
Gruendler/Kohlloeffel (UCLA) def. Miller/Brooklyn (ASU) - 8-3
Abid/Surapol (UCLA) def. Rebaza/Hegarty (ASU) - 8-1
Dehaine/Drean (UCLA) def. Bellama/Souza (ASU) - 8-7 (3)UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. Benjamin Kohlloeffel (UCLA) def. Juan Carlos Rebaza (ASU) - 6-3, 6-3
2. Haythem Abid (UCLA) def. Matt Brooklyn (ASU) - 6-2, 7-5
4. Chris Surapol (UCLA) def. Wes Miller (ASU) - 6-4, 6-4
5. Philipp Gruendler (UCLA) def. Nick Hegarty (ASU) - 6-4, 6-4
6. Jeremy Drean (UCLA) def. T.J Bellama (ASU) - 6-2, 6-4
7. Michael Look (UCLA) def. Murilo Souza (ASU) - 6-2, 6-4