No. 11 Women of Troy Top No. 32 Arizona 7-0
March 17, 2007
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. - The No. 11 USC women's tennis team served up a sweep for their 12th win of the year with a 7-0 decision over No. 32 Arizona on Saturday afternoon at Marks Stadium. Freshman Sarah Fansler stepped into the No. 1 singles slot and grabbed her 22nd win of the year to clinch the match, helping USC to improve to 12-2 overall and 4-0 in Pac-10 play.
USC was perfect in doubles play, opening with an 8-3 win by new doubles duo Dianne Matias / Julie Smekodub playing at the No. 1 position. Anca Anastasiu / Sarah Fansler teamed up for the third time this year and snagged an 8-4 win at No. 3 over #45 Mavroleon/Orletsky to secure the doubles point. At the No. 3 spot, #37 Judy DeVera / Amanda Fink held tight to their undeafeated dual match mark with an 8-7 (1) win over Steinberg/Todorvoa. The USC pair is now 13-0 in dual match doubles, and 21-4 overall, with a winning streak of 13 straight matches.
USC's winning ways continued with a clear run through singles. Julie Smekodub got on a winning track with a 6-0, 6-2 win at No. 5 over Tina Razloznik, and then Anca Anastasiu notched a 6-3, 6-3 win at No. 3 over Natalia Toporowska for a 3-0 USC advantage. #15 Sarah Fansler then clinched the win for the Women of Troy with her 6-2, 6-1 defeat of #110 Danielle Steinberg. The rest of singles action also played out with straight-set wins for the Trojans. Amanda Fink was next with a 6-0, 6-4 decision at No. 2 over Juliette Mavroleon, followed by #91 Dianne Matias' 6-4, 6-1 win over Kasia Jakolew. Judy DeVera wound things down by pulling out a comeback win in the second-set tiebreaker, winning 6-1, 7-6 (7) over Camelia Todorova to end a victorious day for the Women of Troy.
USC returns to action next week with a single nonconference match against Fresno State at 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday (March 21) at Marks Stadium.
#11 USC 7, #32 Arizona 0
(1) Matias/Smekodub (USC) def. Toporowska/Jakowlew (ARIZ) - 8-3
(2) #37 DeVera/Fink (USC) def. Steinberg/Todorova (ARIZ) - 8-7 (1)
(3) Anastasiu/Fansler (USC) def. #45 Mavroleon/Orletsky (ARIZ) - 8-4
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
(1) #15 Sarah Fansler (USC) def. #110 Danielle Steinberg (ARIZ) - 6-2, 6-1*
(2) Amanda Fink (USC) def. Juliette Mavroleon (ARIZ) - 6-0, 6-4
(3) Anca Anastasiu (USC) def. Natalia Toporowska (ARIZ) - 6-3, 6-3
(4) #91 Dianne Matias (USC) def. Kasia Jakolew (ARIZ) - 6-4, 6-1
(5) Julie Smekodub (USC) def. Tina Razloznik (ARIZ) - 6-0, 6-2
(6) Judy DeVera (USC) def. Camelia Todorova (ARIZ) - 6-1, 7-6 (7)
Order of finish: 5, 3, 1*, 2, 4, 6
TODAY | 2:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive