Huskies Top Nevada 6-1 in Hawai'i
March 19, 2007
HONOLULU - The Washington Husky men's tennis team improved to 11-3 on the season with a 6-1 vicotry over Nevada in a neutral site, non-conference match on Monday in Honolulu, Hawai'i. Nevada dropped to 6-9 on the season.
Alex Slovic and Daniel Chu continued to distance themselves from the rest of the Huskies all-time leaders with their 79th career doubles wins, taking an 8-3 victory over Laurent Garcin and Guillaume Tonelli in the No. 1 match. The Huskies also won in the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles matches to jump out to the 1-0 lead over the Wolfpack.
Slovic also won at the No. 1 singles, beating Garcin 6-3, 6-0. The win was the 88th of Slovic's career, the fifth-most in UW history, and ran his combined doubles and singles win total to 167.
Daniel Chu earned the 67th singles victory of his career, winning 7-6, 6-3 over Tonelli in the No. 2 match. Chu improved to 9-2 in dual matches this season.
The Huskies only ranked player, No. 122 Andy Kuharszky, improved to 18-4 on the season with a straight-set victory over Arzhand Derakhshani at No. 3. Patrik Fischer and Derek Drabble also won in straight sets for the Dawgs in the No. 4 and 5 singles matches.
The lone loss by the Huskies was in the No. 6 match where Michael Ricks was unable to close out a 9-7 lead in a match tie breaker against Alex Daruty. Daruty rallied for an 11-9 victory in the deciding third-set tie breaker after he split the first two sets with Ricks 7-6, 6-7.
The Huskies will enjoy the sites of Honolulu on Tuesday before returning to the court on Wednesday for a 7 pm PT match against Hawai'i.
Nevada (6-9) vs. #21 Washington (11-3)
Washington 6, Nevada 1
1. Alex Slovic (UW) def. Laurent Garcin (NEV), 6-3, 6-0
2. Daniel Chu (UW) def., Guillaume Tonelli (NEV), 7-6, 6-3
3. Andy Kuharszky (UW) def. Arzhang Derakhshani (NEV), 6-2, 6-3
4. Patrik Fischer (UW) def. Augustin Myard (NEV), 6-2, 6-1
5. Derek Drabble (UW) def. Guerin Smith (NEV), 6-4, 6-3
6. Alex Daruty (NEV) def. Michael Ricks (UW), 7-6, 6-7, 1-0 (11-9)
1. Daniel Chu/Slovic (UW) def. Garcin/Tonelli (NEV), 8-3
2. Fischer/Mike Ricks (UW) def. Smith/Gabe Kanzelmeyer (NEV), 8-3
3. Drabble/Kuharszky (UW) def. Eldar Dzhafarov/Myard (NEV), 8-1