Huskies Swept At San Diego State
March 20, 2007
SAN DIEGO - The No. 68-ranked San Diego State women's tennis team proved to be too much for the undermanned Huskies on Tuesday, sweeping aside the visiting Dawgs, 7-0. The host Aztecs (6-8) were clicking on all cylinders, winning all but two sets on the day.
Washington (1-11) got off to a slow start, losing all three doubles matches handily and falling into a 1-0 hole on the scoreboard. While the Huskies, who traveled the bare minimum six players on the trip, might have been swept in all the singles matches too, they did show some fight in several courts and just missed out on tallying points.
Tara Simpson, playing No. 3 singles, and Allison Rainey, playing No. 5, each forced their Aztec foe into super tie-breakers, but only after San Diego State had already grabbed the insurmountable 4-0 lead. Both dropped their first sets, but rallied to win the second sets before Simpson lost her super tie-breaker, 12-10, while Rainey fell 10-6.
The Huskies have lost 11 matches this season, all to teams ranked in the ITA national poll. Tomorrow the Huskies will take on just their second unranked opponent when they travel across town and face San Diego at 1:30 pm.
Washington will then return home for a four-match home stand beginning with Boise State on Thursday at 12 pm.
No. 68 SAN DIEGO STATE 7, WASHINGTON 0
Aztec Tennis Center-San Diego, Calif.
1. Vidov/Krausova (SDSU) def. Cor/Ardies (UW), 8-4
2. Bagshaw/Sisse Nielsen (SDSU) def. Wong/Simpson (UW), 8-3
3. Kathryn Kitts/Yusupov (SDSU) def. Rainey/Summers (UW), 8-2
1. Eliska Krausova (SDSU) def. Mathilde Cor (UW), 6-3, 6-4
2. Alesya Vidov (SDSU) def. Joyce Ardies (UW), 7-6(4), 7-5
3. Holly Bagshaw (SDSU) def. Tara Simpson (UW), 6-4, 2-6, 12-10^
4. Esther Cadua (SDSU) def. Melinda Wong (UW), 6-2, 6-3
5. Milana Yusupov (SDSU) def. Allison Rainey (UW), 6-2, 4-6, 10-6^
6. Ozge Atalay (SDSU) def. Lauren Summers (UW), 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish
Doubles: 3, 2, 1
Singles: 6, 4, 1*, 5, 3, 2