Broncos Buck Huskies 5-2 in Tennis Action
March 23, 2007
SEATTLE - For the second-consecutive match, Mathilde Cor and Joyce Ardies won in singles for the Husky women's tennis team, but visiting Boise State (11-2) won 5-2 over Washington (1-13) at the Nordstrom Tennis Center on Friday.
Cor, playing in the No. 1 singles slot, dropped her first set, but rallied to win the next two over Bianca Jochimsen. Cor's victory at No. 1 was the Huskies second in a row after the team started the season 0-12 in the top spot.
Ardies, a freshman from Sao Paulo, Brazil, also needed three sets to put away her opponent. She beat Polina Kokoulina 6-4, 1-6, 6-3 to improve to a team-best 6-6 in dual matches, 12-9 overall.
'It was a great performance by Joyce and Mathilde,' said Husky Head Coach Jill Hultquist. 'They were able to battle through adversity and won very exciting matches.'
Ardies' and Cor's victories were too little, too late, as the 43rd-ranked Broncos had already clinched the match and held a 5-0 lead.
The Huskies lost all three doubles matches and were swept in straight sets in the other four singles matches.
Washington returns to the court this Sunday, March 25 at 12 pm against Gonzaga. The match will be held in the Nordstrom Tennis Center and is free to all fans. There is also free parking, thanks to Cingular, and complimentary pizza and soft drinks.
Friday, March 23, 2007; Seattle, Wash.
#43 Boise State (10-2) at Washington (1-13)
BSU 5, UW 2
1. Kokoulina/Mackova (BSU) def. Ardies/Cor (UW), 8-0
2. Coll/Jochimsen (BSU) def. Wong/Simspon (UW), 8-4
3. Housley/Wladarczyk (BSU) def. Summers/Rainey (UW), 8-1
1. Mathilde Cor (UW) def. Bianca Jochimsen (BSU), 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
2. Joyce Ardies (UW) def. Polina Kokoulina (BSU), 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
3. Jana Mackova (BSU) def. Tara Simpson (UW), 6-2, 6-1
4. Klaudia Wladarczyk (BSU) def. Melinda Wong (UW), 6-1, 6-4
5. Stacey Housley (BSU) def. Allison Rainey (UW), 7-6 (2), 6-2
6. Tifanny Coll (BSU) def. Lauren Summers (UW), 6-1, 6-0
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 3, 1, 2
Singles: 6, 3, 5, 4, 2, 1
TODAY | 12:00pm PTLive
Tue 5/22 | 6:00pm PTLive