No. 1 Women's Tennis Makes It 10 Straight; Drops UNLV 5-2
March 28, 2007
STANFORD, Calif.- A rare doubles sweep and a stunning loss at No. 1 singles had the makings for a tough match. However, No. 1 Stanford managed to record singles wins at all five other positions for a 5-2 victory over No. 56 UNLV on Wednesday afternoon.
The match was not an easy one for the Cardinal (13-1, 1-0 Pac-10), which saw three singles matches extend to a third set in a contest played amidst howling, brisk winds.
Stanford has now won 10 in a row and has not experienced a loss since a 4-3 defeat to then-No. 6 Georgia Tech back on Feb. 3 snapped an NCAA record 89-match winning streak.
UNLV, off to its best start since opening the 2003 campaign with a 15-3 mark, falls to 14-4 overall.
The Rebels have been tough in doubles this year and proved so once again on Wednesday, sweeping all three matches to snag a 1-0 lead that included an 8-1 rout at the No. 1 spot as UNLV's Elena Gantcheva and Kristina Nedeltcheva stormed past Stanford's top tandem of Lindsay Burdette and Anne Yelsey.
The unranked Gantcheva continued to give Stanford a headache in singles play, knocking off No. 11 Theresa Logar 7-6, 6-1 at the No. 1 position.
However, the Cardinal's depth in singles secured the victory. Yelsey cruised past Nedeltcheva 6-2, 6-0 at No. 2 while Burdette downed Linda Tempelfelde 6-2, 6-4 at the No. 5 spot.
Stanford returns to the Taube Tennis Center this weekend for the Spring Smash, presented by Zoom Marketing. The Cardinal hosts No. 19 Arizona State on Friday, Mar. 30 at 1:30 p.m. and No. 42 Arizona on Saturday, Mar. 31 at noon.
1) No. 35 Gantcheva/Nedeltcheva (UNLV) d. No. 34 Burdette/Yelsey (STAN) 8-1
2) Dimitrova/Tempelfelde (UNLV) d. Durkin/Hodzic (STAN) 9-7
3) Razina/Smith (UNLV) d. Deason/Logar (STAN) 8-6
UNLV wins doubles point, leads match 1-0
order of finish: 1, 3, 2
1) Elena Gantcheva (UNLV) d. No. 11 Theresa Logar (STAN) 7-6, 6-1
2) No. 37 Anne Yelsey (STAN) d. Kristina Nedeltcheva (UNLV) 6-2, 6-0
3) No. 10 Celia Durkin (STAN) d. Nikol Dimitrova (UNLV) 6-7, 7-6, 1-0 (10-4)
4) No. 73 Whitney Deason (STAN) d. Claire Smith (UNLV) 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
5) No. 48 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) d. Linda Tempelfelde (UNLV) 6-2, 6-4
6) Lejla Hodzic (STAN) d. Alisa Razina (UNLV) 6-2, 5-7, 6-4
order of finish: 5, 2, 1, 6, 4, 3