Cardinal Beats Arizona 4-3 in Pac-10 Opener
March 30, 2007
Stanford ended a four-match losing streak today by beating Arizona 4-3 in the Pacific-10 Conference opener for both schools. The Cardinal, now 4-10 overall, clinched the match when Richard Wire defeated Claudio Christen at No. 1 singles, 6-4, 7-5. Stanford travels to Arizona State tomorrow for a conference match against the Sun Devils.
Stanford swept all three doubles matches to win the point and take a 1-0 lead heading into singles play. At No. 1 doubles, Matt Bruch and Blake Muller beat Christen and Jason Labrosse, 9-8. Paul Morrissey and Richard Wire won their match at No. 2 doubles and Eric McKean and Kevin Kaiser completed the sweep with a victory at No. 3 doubles.
The Cardinal and Wildcats split the singles competition, but Stanford's doubles point proved to be the winning margin. Muller, Kaiser and Wire recorded singles victories for the Cardinal. Muller, playing No. 3, beat Ravid Hezi, 6-4, 6-3 while Kaiser also won his match at No. 5 in straight sets, beating Peter Zimmer, 6-3, 6-3.
But it was Wire, ranked No. 110 in the country, who won the clinching match and helped the Cardinal end their losing skid. Wire's win in straight sets over Christen put Stanford, the defending Pac-10 champion, on top of the conference standings.
Pacific-10 Conference: Stanford 4, Arizona 3
LaNelle Robson Tennis Complex
Doubles (Stanford wins doubles point)
1. Matt Bruch / Blake Muller (S) d. Christen/ J. Labrosse (UA), 9-8
2. Paul Morrissey / Richard Wire (S) d. Alcala/ Hezi (UA), 8-6
3. Eric McKean / Kevin Kaiser (S) d. Francois VanderMerwe /Zimmer (UA), 8-6
1. No. 110 Richard Wire (S) d. Claudio Christen (UA), 6-4, 7-5
2. Bruno Alcala (UA) d. Eric McKean (S), 6-3, 6-7, 1-0
3. Blake Muller (S) d. Ravid Hezi (UA), 6-4, 6-3
4. Jason Labrosse (UA) d. Jeff Zeller (S), 6-1, 6-2
5. Kevin Kaiser (S) d. Peter Zimmer (UA), 6-3, 6-3
6. Alex Labrosse (UA) d. David Ryan (S), 6-4, 6-4
Records: Stanford (4-10, 1-0), Arizona (5-11, 0-1)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 12:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 2:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 4:00pm PTLive