Huskies Shoot Down Pilots, 6-1
March 30, 2007
SEATTLE - The Washington Husky women's tennis team beat the visiting Portland Pilots 6-1 in a non-conference match at Bill Quilian Stadium on Friday. Washington (3-14) swept all three doubles matches and the top five singles matches to improve to 17-0 all-time against the visiting Pilots (10-8).
Washington jumped to the 1-0 lead on the heels of blow out victories by the No. 1 doubles team of Joyce Ardies and Mathilde Cor and the No. 2 doubles team of Melinda Wong and Tara Simpson. The Huskies needed a tie-breaker for Allison Rainey and Lauren Summers to complete the doubles sweep of the Pilots. Simpson and Wong improved their team-best doubles record to 12-8 overall, 9-8 in dual matches.
The Huskies carried the momentum over to the singles, winning quickly at No. 2 and No. 1. Ardies dropped just one game in beating Portland's Megan Sporndli 6-0, 6-1 at No. 2, while Cor won her fifth-straight match at No. 1 singles, beating Christie Feyen 6-3, 6-0.
Simpson clinched the match for the Huskies, winning 6-4, 6-1 over Lindsey Griffin at the number three spot. For Simpson, it was her third-straight singles victory.
With Washington leading 4-0, Portland tallied its first point. Audrey Jenks defeated Summers at the No. 6 match, winning a back-and-forth battle 7-5, 7-5.
Wong and Rainey gave the Huskies their final two points by putting away Jenna Tanzer and Anna Gullickson in the No. 4 and No. 5 singles matches respectively.
Washington will take the next week off before resuming its Pac-10 Conference schedule with a pair of matches in the Bay area against California and Stanford. The Huskies will play at California on Friday, April 6 at 1:30 p.m. and at Stanford on Saturday at 12 p.m.
Friday, March 30, 2007; Seattle, Wash.
Portland (10-8) at Washington (3-14)
UW 6, Portland 1
1. Ardies/Cor (UW) def. Tanzer/Sporndli (UP), 8-3
2. Wong/Simspon (UW) def. Griffin/Jenks (UP), 8-2
3. Summers/Rainey (UW) def. Katie Kennel/Feyen (UP), 7-6 (4)
1. Mathilde Cor (UW) def. Christie Feyen (UP, 6-3, 6-0
2. Joyce Ardies (UW) def. Megan Sporndli (UP), 6-0, 6-1
3. Tara Simpson (UW) def. Lindsey Griffin (UP), 6-4, 6-1
4. Melinda Wong (UW) def. Jenna Tanzer (UP), 6-3, 6-2
5. Allison Rainey (UW) def. Anna Gullickson (UP), 6-1, 6-4
6. Audrey Jenks (UP) def. Lauren Summers (UW), 7-5, 7-5
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 2, 1, 3
Singles: 2, 1, 3, 6, 4, 5