Men's Tennis Defeats California, 5-2, in Pac-10 Season Opener
March 30, 2007
TEMPE, Ariz.--The Arizona State men's tennis team opened Pac-10 play with a 5-2 victory over the California Golden Bears Friday at the Whiteman Tennis Center in Tempe. The Sun Devils now hold an overall record of 10-6 on the season and 1-0 in Pac-10 play. Cal drops to 10-7 overall and 0-1 in the Pac-10.
Arizona State took five out of the six singles matches earning the Sun Devils the overall victory. Junior Juan Carlos Rebaza topped Pierr Mouillon, 6-4, 6-3, for his 20th overall singles victory on the season. Also earning their 20th overall singles victory of the season was freshman Matt Brooklyn playing in the No. 2 spot over California's Tyler Browne, 6-4, 4-6, 6-1. Others earning singles victories for the Devils were sophomore Wes Miller, senior Nick Hegarty and freshman Murilo Souza.
In Doubles, California sealed the point winning two out of the three matches. The lone victory for the Sun Devils came in a hard fought battle between Hegarty and Rebaza and Cal's Geoff Chizever and Eoin Heavey. Hegarty and Rebaza earned a 7-6 (7) victory for their 8th doubles victory of the season.
The Sun Devils continue Pac-10 play Saturday when they host the Stanford Cardinal at 1 p.m. at eh Whiteman Tennis Center in Tempe.
1. Juan Carlos Rebaza (ASU) def. Pierre Mouillon (Cal) 6-4, 6-3
2. Matt Brooklyn (ASU) def. Tyler Browne (Cal) 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
3. Wes Miller (ASU) def. Eoin Heavey (Cal) 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
4. Ken Nakahara (Cal) def. T.J. Bellama (ASU) 6-2, 7-6 (4)
5. Nick Hegarty (ASU) def. Daniel Sebescen (Cal) 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
6. Murilo Souza (ASU) def. Geoff Chizever (Cal) 6-2, 6-7 (1), 6-4
1. Browne/John Pettit (Cal) def. Brooklyn/Miller (ASU) 8-6
2. Hegarty/Rebaza (ASU) def. Chizever/Heavey (Cal) 7-6 (7)
3. Nakahara/Sebescen (Cal) def. Bellama/Souza (ASU) 8-5
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 3:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive